Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Electric

Spring0105

Im thinkin' of getting an Epiphone les paul (which model i don't know either a standard, standard plus or custom). I have an american Fender strat but would like a les paul (cant really afford a gibson). The Epiphone les paul seems quite reasonable for the price but I would like to know what people who own them think, are they what there hyped up to be? or ar the overated. Also what colour do you think is best and should it be the custom/plus or standard/plus?

Welcome to the forum, Spring0105.

I had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and it was a lovely thing to play.

It will give you a good idea of what a Les Paul is like to hold and play - quite different from the feel of a Strat - and if, at sometime in the future, you end up getting a Gibson it will already feel familiar.

As to which model to choose that is down to your likes and dislikes. In general the more you pay the fancier will be the guitar. It won't necessarily be a better instrument; just more decorative.

Good luck.

I've played them. Really nice guitars. I think that they are well made, reasonably priced and also really beautiful. If I could not afford a gibson but wanted a Les Paul, this would be they way I would go.

And you can always upgrade their pickups in the future. But don't jump into this immediately. Only if they do not satisfy you.

And color? what looks best TO YOU mate.

Good luck.

I have an '02 Epi LP STND Plus (that I bought new in '02), and I can honestly tell you that in the long run, you'd be better off buying a Gibson LP. Not that Epi LPs are bad guitars, but you can save a BUTTLOAD of money on upgrades if you just spend the $ on the guitar that pretty much already has everything you want. Believe me I know. I just bought my first Gibson LP, and it was like a breath of fresh air. I've had it for a week now and haven't even looked at my Epi.

Yes, rockstar232007, as you say, he would be better off with a Gibson but I was paying particular attention to this bit in his original post;

...(cant really afford a gibson)...

An Epi can be had for a quarter the price of a Gibson. Big difference in price. If Spring really can't stretch to a Gibson at the moment an Epi is a good second choice.

After all; you played yours (happily?) for seven years!

Yes' date=' rockstar232007, as you say, he would be better off with a Gibson but I was paying particular attention to this bit in his original post;

An Epi can be had for a quarter the price of a Gibson. Big difference in price. If Spring really can't stretch to a Gibson at the moment an Epi is a good second choice.

After all; you played yours (happily?) for seven years!

[/quote']There are in fact Gibson LPs in the same price range as most Epis, especially used ones.

And that is true. But I wasn't always happy! I only bought it because I was young, impatient, and thought (naively) that it would be close to a Gibson, but I was WRONG! The sad thing is, at the time I bought it, I could have just saved up a little more money and got a Gibson instead, but as I said I was impatient.

I would have sold it by now, but it has a lot of sentimental value (it was the first guitar I bought with my own money), not to mention that it looks like it's been through a ringer after I "aged" it, because after the first 5 years of owning/playing the hell out of it, it STILL looked brand new!

There are in fact Gibson LPs in the same price range as most Epis' date=' especially used ones. [/quote']

Perhaps you are correct your side of the Atlantic.

I've just done a very quick search and over here in the UK and the cheapest I can find a genuine Gibson (a used Studio) is still more than double the price of a new Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 pick-up.

I don't know where Spring lives. If he/she lives where Epiphones are the same price as a Gibson then, of course, my advice would be to buy the Gibson.

If it's the better guitar.

Anyway, as I say, you may be correct over your side.

Perhaps you are correct your side of the Atlantic.

I've just done a very quick search and over here in the UK and the cheapest I can find a genuine Gibson (a used Studio) is still more than double the price of a new Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 pick-up.

I don't know where Spring lives. If he/she lives where Epiphones are the same price as a Gibson then' date=' of course, my advice would be to buy the Gibson.

If it's the better guitar.

Anyway, as I say, you may be correct over your side.

[/quote']Sorry pip, I forgot your in the UK.[blush]

Sorry pip' date=' I forgot your in the UK.[blush']

Hey, no problem.

We do seem to pay through the nose hereabouts.

Compared with over in the USA there are probably proportionately fewer used Gibsons on the market at any one time so their residual price is still relatively high.

Perhaps as people have to pay more for them in the first place they are more reluctant to sell them on? In the case of new instruments it's almost impossible to find a dealer who will drop the MRRP by much - if at all.

The Epi isn't a Gibson USA' date=' but the higher end Epi's (standards or better) are about the best non Gibson LP out there. I'll take a non weight relieved Epi over a weight relieved Gibson. This is just my personal preference, it may not be yours...[/quote']

gonna disagree with ya there. tokai and burny are better than non-MIJ Epi LPs. and anyone who would rather have a non-MIJ Epi over a Gibson USA 1) cant afford the gibson and/or 2) needs their meds tweaked. :-k

Welcome, Sprint0105. Nothing is "forever!" Get the Epi...if it's what you can truly afford, at this time. They're

great guitars, for the money! I have both Gibson's and Epiphones....although my Epi's are mostly Semi-hollow

bodies. But, I've played the Epi LP's, and they're decent! And...later, if you decide the LP is "your" thing, and

you can afford one, then you can get the Gibby! MIJ Epi's, and Tokai, Burny, Dillon guitars, are quite nice, but

harder to find, too. Play as many as you can, before you buy, as well. They all...(even Gibsons) vary...sometimes

quite a bit. Good Luck!

CB

What is a better option, top Epiphone Les Paul (say a Epiphone Tribute Les Paul Standard, $800 new) or a Gibson Less Paul Studio Swamp Ash at $1320, also new? My main criteria is sound and playability, but it would be nice to get some nice features as a second priority. Also, I would rather pay less, but I could save a little longer if it makes sense.

What is a better option' date=' top Epiphone Les Paul (say a Epiphone Tribute Les Paul Standard, $800 new) or a Gibson Less Paul Studio Swamp Ash at $1320, also new? My main criteria is sound and playability, but it would be nice to get some nice features as a second priority. Also, I would rather pay less, but I could save a little longer if it makes sense.[/quote']

A Gibson Les Paul Studio is made with better wood & higher quality electronics. If you can save for the Studio, that would be the way to go. Epi's are nice for people who want a Les Paul but can't afford the Gibson.

Archived