Gibson Brands Forums

More (dumb)Questions from a Gibby newbie

passthej45

As some of you may have seen in a previous post I just got my J45......it's the sound I have always been looking for. Now a few question for the experts(you guys)

1. does the "j" in J45 stand for Jumbo?

2. if so how does it differ from the Advanced Jumbo and Southern Jumbo?

3. What is the difference between the J45standard and J45 Modern classic?

This is one "J" I think I'll bogart! Thanks

1. the J does stand for jumbo. when the J line was introduced, it was the largest they made.

2. the SJ is simply a J45 with a different guard, some binding, and different inlay (bling). as a comparison, a J50 is a 45 with a natural finish, and the country western is a natural finish SJ. the AJ has different dimensions, bracing, inlay, and woods.

3. the J45 MC turned into the Standard. the only noticeable difference is that the Standard now has an inlaid Gibson logo... which technicall is incorrect for 45 and should have been reserved for the SJ.... which they discontinued (again)

1. does the "j" in J45 stand for Jumbo?

2. if so how does it differ from the Advanced Jumbo and Southern Jumbo?

3. What is the difference between the J45standard and J45 Modern classic?

1. The "J" stands for "Jibson' date='" which was the 17th Century spelling of "Gibson." Gibson's roots can be traced back to the Mayflower, and Henry Jibson, who landed there with other pilgrims.

2. The advanced Jumbo is far more advanced. The Southern Jumbo is only legal below the Mason-Dixon line.

3. Strangely enough, not a whole lot other than about $500. [biggrin

I recently saw an original Henry Jibson for sale on Ebay.....it was in pretty good shape cept' for a few nicks made by the pilgrims while disembarking from the Mayflower. The Civil War actually began when someone played a Southern Jumbo above the Mason-Dixon line(I think they played Freebird).....bet ya'll didn't know that !

The last time I heard anyone use the term 'bogart', Ford was President and we were twisting up and listening to ZZ Top's new Fandango album.

And I had hair. Lots of hair. And I was hanging around the local radio stations with stars in my eyes, begging to manhandle the QRK and Rusco turntables and not utter expletives when the cart decks acted up.

I think they were stars. Maybe they were side effects from household chemicals I used for aromatherapy.

The last time I heard anyone use the term 'bogart'' date=' Ford was President and we were twisting up and listening to ZZ Top's new Fandango album.

And I had hair. Lots of hair. And I was hanging around the local radio stations with stars in my eyes, begging to manhandle the QRK and Rusco turntables and not utter expletives when the cart decks acted up.

I think they were stars. Maybe they were side effects from household chemicals I used for aromatherapy.[/quote']

Don't Bogart that joint, my friend...

Pass it over to me...

I've been accused of being in the 70s!

50 next year. I handled 40 okay. Check back with me on August 27.

Tell ME! I turned 60 last August..... It's a shame to get to the point in life when I can afford to buy pretty much anything I want, but don't want anything, (if I mention another guitar this year, I'll have to sleep in the garage!). I can get anything to eat that I want...but EVERYTHING upsets my stomach. It just ain't fair!

Archived