Gibson Brands Forums

Slash and Gibson - just sayin....

bullet22

OK' date=' so can a dry-guy enjoy this klatch? My poison tonight is a concentrate of trichomes, devoid of any vegetative material, via vaporizer. Oh...and some cranberry juice.

Cheers![/quote']

Mmmmmmm...trichomes...mmmmmm. I wish I could partake with ya.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To swing back on topic re Slash; Simon (Flight 959) says Slash has only been clean a year from booze- it beggers belief the amount of stuff he has recorded under the influence.

While my rock days are far behind me[biggrin] gents such as Randy Rhoads, Slash, Dave Gilmore and Brian May are my favourite melodic rock soloists. They all were/are so gifted at writing a tune within a tune, when soloing.

With Guns n' Roses I think Slash helped by injecting some rawness, in a band that may have just sounded like another late 80's American commercial rock band. Personally I have never liked the sound of all that kind of stuff like Journey, Boston, Bon Jovi etc. I was thrilled when Nirvanna came and did what they did, to what I considered an ailing music scene.[blush]

With rock and metal in general (with obvious exceptions ie Hendrix and Metallica) the 'British sound' to my ears, has always sounded less glossy and polished and more raw and in your face.

When I first heard Def Leppard I took quite some convincing they were English bands as their sound was not typical of the British metal scene. Early Iron Maiden and Motorhead I think show off that sound the best!

Matt

With rock and metal in general (with obvious exceptions ie Hendrix and Metallica) the 'British sound' to my ears' date=' has always sounded less glossy and polished and more raw and in your face.

When I first heard Def Leppard I took quite some convincing they were English bands as their sound was not typical of the British metal scene. Early Iron Maiden and Motorhead I think show off that sound the best!

Matt[/quote']

Ah, Matt, these were the days when England was still the home of quality, true in it's heart, hard-rocking music and the greatest guitarists of the planet came from this place.... And I still miss it as hell. I get nostalgic and all but it was obvious to the world's rock / metal scene how important that contribution was in the 90's, when it stopped & no more good stuff were coming from that island...

Remember:

Iron Maiden (IMHO, the last studio album worthy of IM name, was Fear of the Dark in 1991) - Murray & Smith

(early) Judas Priest - Glenn Tipton & KK Downing

(early) Def Leppard

Saxon (one of the few still rocking)

(early) Motorhead - ''Fast Eddie'' Clarke

(70's) Black Sabbath - Tony Iommi

(70's) Deep Purple - Blackmore

(70's) Rainbow - Blackmore

(early 80's) Dio - Vivian Cambell (although Irish...)

And then they went copying all those ''arena-rock'' american bands, destroyed their signature sound and eventually lost, because Americans were so much better in that game...

The only british band that went to an all-american sound but they were great at it,were The Cult, with Billy Duffy.

England has to step back mate. I'm serious when I say how much we need it to...

Hi Hector

Well; nothing lasts forever- and we both know hearts can change [biggrin][thumbup] (forgive the dodgey Matt lyric quoting)

Seriously, music must always be changing and evolving I suppose- and I do like a lot of stuff these days; like Babyshambles, Keiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand- It has that rawness, albeit in a different style, that I enjoyed in the metal bands we are discussing in this thread.

But there is a problem as you say with originality... even these bands are 'throw back' bands tipping their hats to the sounds of bands like the Clash; from yesteryear!

I think The Darkness while having the tongue firmly pressed against their cheeks proved there is a big market out there for the old school of hard rock metal still.

By the way; if you like that British metal sound and you haven't, do check out Chris Johnson's band 'Al Atkins' Holy Rage'

Chris is a member here (Chrisdude) and plays unapologetic out and out metal!

http://www.alatkins.com/

Matt

Archived