Gibson Brands Forums

Slash and Gibson - just sayin....

bullet22

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm heavy metal/heavy rock are 'American art forms' ; I would say the first heavy metal band was Black Sabbath from Birmingham' date=' UK...near Slash[biggrin']

the first documented use of the term "heavy metal" was to describe a band from NYC called Sir Lord Baltimore.

All this being said I'm huge fan of British Rock. Hell Mick Ronson is one of my heroes.

I just defending what's "ours" over here. I'm a born and raised southern American.

We get a bit testy at times![lol]

the first documented use of the term "heavy metal" was to describe a band from NYC called Sir Lord Baltimore.

All this being said I'm huge fan of British Rock. Hell Mick Ronson is one of my heroes.

I just defending what's "ours" over here. I'm a born and raised southern American.

We get a bit testy at times![flapper]

Bubba' date=' you must take a ration when you go home...livin' in SF and all. My Tarheel family and friends thought I was from another planet. They had a good ol' time when I took 'em on the two-bit tour of the Tenderloin, though. LOL! "Yeah, Paw-Paw, put your eyes back in your head; that AIN'T a woman!" [flapper[flapper]

Course, that was in the 70's; maybe things are "different" now. :-k

Bubba' date=' you must take a ration when you go home...livin' in SF and all. My Tarheel family and friends thought I was from another planet. They had a good ol' time when I took 'em on the two-bit tour of the Tenderloin, though. LOL! "Yeah, Paw-Paw, put your eyes back in your head; that AIN'T a woman!" [confused'] [flapper]

Course, that was in the 70's; maybe things are "different" now. [flapper]

Ha! the Tenderloin is moslty toothless crack/meth heads these days, The real circus is over in the Castro!

Reminds of Guavaween in Tampa

Ha! the Tenderloin is moslty toothless crack/meth heads these days' date=' The real circus is over in the Castro!

Reminds of Guavaween in Tampa

[/quote']

Yeah, I've seen some vids of the Pride Parade in the Castro. My last flat in the City before I got drafted was on Eureka. It was a very quiet, semi-retired working class neighborhood up there then. By the time I returned just 4 years later the changes were already evident. I headed to the Avenues. [love]

the first documented use of the term "heavy metal" was to describe a band from NYC called Sir Lord Baltimore...

We get a bit testy at times![lol]

If the majority of the forum said British music ruled- and American music sucked' date=' I would be fighting the case of the later[biggrin']

I like some American rock too; I love Hendrix and The Doors especially- and Metallica are just ace[cool] As my Gibson MOM testifies I love Randy Rhoads too!

My thinking with any term in a historical reference is that is is secondary to the actuality of it!!! Or to say the last sentence in another way,

Black Sabbath 'sound like' what the majority of people (and musicologists) would term the first 'heavy metal'. In my academic reasoning too, heavy metal came from the rawness of the British Isles; in my hearing too, it came from there. Heavy metal is so raw, as were the places it was born, it is understandable the the darkness flourished in these places!

What I find interesting about heavy metal, is a lot of it (not all:-" ) 'bi passed' the blues- and went straight to Baroque, folk and classical influences in it's tonality; which I assure you is quite pre USA.[love]

Matt

If the majority of the forum said British music ruled- and American music sucked' date=' I would be fighting the case of the later[biggrin']

My thinking with any term in a historical reference is that is is secondary to the actuality of it!!!

OK then if you wanna get technical, lets throw in Blue Cheer!

Matt,

it's time to have a beer over this. I'll even pour a Fullers London Pride in the spirit of comraderie!

OK then if you wanna get technical' date=' lets throw in Blue Cheer!

Matt,

it's time to have a beer over this. I'll even pour a Fullers London Pride in the spirit of comraderie![/quote']

DAMN YOU!!!:-$

YUK @ Fullers London Pride! I'll have my favourite; a Budvar (Czech Bud) or Peroni lager. [biggrin]

Matt

DAMN YOU!!!:-$

YUK @ Fullers London Pride! I'll have my favourite; a Budvar (Czech Bud) or Peroni lager. [biggrin]

Matt

Unfortunatley, Budvar over here is called Czechvar (100 year old battle with Budweiser who is now owned by the Belgians!). It tastes like pee pee by the time it's finds it way onto the shelves.

In that case I'll crack a Lagunitas IPA, local brew from Petaluma California also home of Mesa Boogie!

Unfortunatley' date=' Budvar over here is called Czechvar (100 year old battle with Budweiser who is now owned by the Belgians!). It tastes like pee pee by the time it's finds it way onto the shelves.

In that case I'll crack a Lagunitas IPA, local brew from Petaluma California also home of Mesa Boogie![/quote']

LOL

American Budweiser lager to me tastes like Bon Jovi; sweet sickly and artificial :-$

Long live Budvar baby[biggrin]

Matt

Well said. Some decent debate on here for a change! I don't think it matters either. As for the copy side of things - I don't mind that it was a copy' date=' at all.

[/quote']

That's the funny thing about copies - if it's Chinese and low-quality, it's an illegal copy, but if it's American and high-quality, it's a "tribute." I see people online all the time selling Les Pauls, clearly marked as copies, with Gibson headstocks selling for over $3000.

The difference, I suppose, is that these "tributes" are clearly stated not to be Gibsons, and you can often contact the builder directly.

HEY! I like Budweiser! But right now' date=' I having a Celebrator. It's pricey, but it's good stuff.

[/quote']

OK, so can a dry-guy enjoy this klatch? My poison tonight is a concentrate of trichomes, devoid of any vegetative material, via vaporizer. Oh...and some cranberry juice.

Cheers!

Archived