Gibson Brands Forums

Not the most popular guitar type 'round here but ...I love my new baby so!

DeVeeWee

She's got a new home AND a new boyfriend since 1 week! I'm talking about my new Maurice Dupont MD50

At the left hand side, the Favino type Dell'Arte(Angelo Debarre signature) and at your right hand side the Selmer type Maurice Dupont MD50.

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

MauriceDupontMD50.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

Just beautiful' date=' Kris, no wonder you're proud of them. Do you think it's polite to keep staring at them, though...you know...lovers and all. Perhaps they'd like a little privacy. :- [/quote']

Hahaha! I'll leave them the freedom to jump in 'the case' whenever they feel to :-

Kris, to my non-classical eye they look very similar. Can you describe what makes them unique from one-another? It would seem the builders have been to the same school or had the same master-luthier during their apprenticeship. But there must surely be differences not obvious to the untrained eye.

Kris' date=' to my non-classical eye they look very similar. Can you describe what makes them unique from one-another? It would seem the builders have been to the same school or had the same master-luthier during their apprenticeship. But there must surely be differences not obvious to the untrained eye.[/quote']

Hey Dennis, you've got a good eye! Actually these 2 type of manouche jazz guitars are practically saying, the most used types in gypsy jazz. Selmer was a French luthier who made the most famous guitar in jazz manouche, the one for Django Reinhardt(number 503). Maurice Dupont was the first French luthier who copied the Selmer guitar(after Selmer had died) from A to Z and brought this guitar back into popularity. Jacques Favino was an Italian luthier who lived most of his life in Paris and who got in touch with the jazz manouche music of Django and Stéphane Grapelli. He made his own copy of the Selmer but made the body a bit wider(that's why I've put them next each other on the picture) what resulted in a more solid sound. You must know that back in the 40's and 50's a lot of the gigs where acoustically played so the guitarists had to outperform against the drummer, the pianist and the horn section, etc...

So, it's more a difference in body size what results in a difference in sound. The Dell'Arte leans more to the sound of a dreadnought, the MD50 has that real sharp, short sound of the Selmer jazz guitar.

Maurice Dupont's bio: http://www.sandarac.co.uk/rangedupont.html

To add to what Crusin wanted to know' date=' is there a price difference? Is one considered better than the other?[/quote']

The MD50(€3110) is a bit 'le nec plus ultra'...you can compare it with a LP Custom. Dupont is a bit a reference in gypsy guitars and I have to admit it's no fairy tale...you have the real gypsy sound, top craftswork)

The Dell'Arte(€1150) is very nice solid copy.

P.S. Wood for the Dupont top is european spruce top.

Archived