Gibson Brands Forums

Amp-less Question

deepblue

Geddy Lee no longer uses amps, thats why his rig is a washer and dryer or a chicken roaster.

He did this to take up the empty space behind him on stage.

My question is.....where does his sound come from? and why would he do this?

Im lost...too much tech for me.

..........no more back-pain ?

........more time for the chicks after the gig ?

Geddy has roadies so no worries there...as far a groupies go?

I dont think they are beating Geddys door down, but I guess if John Popper can have a female

following then anyone can.

I have no idea who Lee is, but...

It's not hard for me to understand in a sense... going directly into a PA, with or without a computer in between, would mean more control over the sound and less concern with mikes and all sorts of diddling with "stuff."

It looks to me as if that may be the wave of the future in ways.

When I started playing electric in a rock band, it was a cycle of getting bigger and bigger amps, bigger and bigger tube PA systems and speaker cabs for the PA systems. Even a switch to country didn't change that much, although sheer volume was somewhat less of a concern. Never miked an amp in those days.

Then bigger venues and/or more desire for control brought amp miking, monitors for the band and more control to a "sound man" who handled the mix.

It looks to me as if this sort of thing simply is the next half step toward more computer control. Heck, I'm visualizing a laptop with active speaker PAs and stage monitors only for the future.

m

Okay... <grin> I've at least heard of Rush. <chuckle> Hey, I'm old!

I'll still stand by the comment I think computer/software and a PA system is the route to the future for a lot of us. It doesn't save weight, but... perhaps adds a bit of control.

In fact... I hope to have something along those lines figured by summer...

m

I'm telling ya if they had some of the computer stuff that we have now back when I was touring it would have saved so much room and money. It would easily been worth it. It costs a lot to haul around all that gear in a van with 5 guys and it's awful crowded.

My brother used to do the same thing and he's a huge Geddy Lee fan. Looks like Geddy is emulating him now (he he he). We used a direct input box with an XLR right to the mixer. It actually didn't sound bad. Don't know why Geddy does it though...

Archived