- Made by Gibson

- Same hardware/electronics

- (contoured) Mahogany slab body

- It's an LP

Differences:

- The LP Standard has a carved maple top

- It (the Special SL) has been discontinued

Not really...

Electronics and hardware are not the same (pickups and tuners are different from most standards') and the current standard comes with a board with every component in there.

I will name pickups as a difference again as they make a huge difference.

Also note:

-inlays

-neck binding

-headstock decal/logo material

-body dimensions (the lack of a maple cap makes it a little thiner in the case of the special... something that doesn't happen with the VM line)

-FLAT TOP for the special, carved top for the standard

If we are talking about them "new standards" there's more

-PCB

-neutrik jack

-locking bridge

-locking tailpiece

-locking tuners

-asymmetric neck

-straplocks

And last but not least... the original gibson case (a 150 value around here)

I have a 2002 LP Special, and it is a very plain jane type guitar - flat solid mahogany body, mahogany neck dot fingerboard, Kluson tuners. It has a very fast neck and incredible tone. I am slowly stripping the paint off it. The mahogany is so good looking I don't understand why they painted it in the first place.

I have owned 2 old LP Customs, and I like the little Special better in terms of playability and tone.

mark

Don't forget the contoured back on the special, kinda like a Strat.

And the neck angle is shallower due to the bridge being much lower from the lack of a carved top.

I think of it as an SG with a Les Paul silhouette since it's just a slab of Mahogany.

Specials are cool guitars, don't get the love they deserve.

Not really...

Electronics and hardware are not the same (pickups and tuners are different from most standards') and the current standard comes with a board with every component in there.

I will name pickups as a difference again as they make a huge difference.

Also note:

-inlays

-neck binding

-headstock decal/logo material

-body dimensions (the lack of a maple cap makes it a little thiner in the case of the special... something that doesn't happen with the VM line)

-FLAT TOP for the special' date=' carved top for the standard

If we are talking about them "new standards" there's more

-PCB

-neutrik jack

-locking bridge

-locking tailpiece

-locking tuners

-asymmetric neck

-straplocks

And last but not least... the original gibson case (a 150 value around here)[/quote']I guess I'm a little behind.[angry]

But then again, I don't really care to keep up with the current line of LPs. I guess you could say that I'm old fashioned.

If you can afford a Standard by all means get it, I bet you can't go wrong with it. I myself purchased in 1998, a cinnamon (Red or Ginger actual) color Gibson Les Paul Special SL, with a Gibson hardcase with the pinkish or purple-ish fuzz lining and cute little cape cover it comes with. Like an idiot, I almost cut the cape out because I thought it looked weird. My best friend fortunately talked me out of it! I'm glad I kept that OEM part intact! After adjusting the neck and pickups, it looks, plays and sounds wonderful. It is an extremely loud guitar as well! The nicest part is, yes it sounds like a Les Paul! It is a bare-bones model but so what! This guitar kicks butt! If you can find a used Les Paul SL I would recommend one. Ofcourse, check it out first and make sure no one did damage and so forth on it before you buy it! They do have that little body contour on the back someone mentioned earlier on this link. It has rosewood on the neck also. I do believe the body and neck are mahogony. Good luck in whichever Les Paul you decide to get!

[biggrin] One more thing I should mention about the LP Special SL, the SL stands for sans laquer, which means, without laquer. The finish on the guitar is polyurethane. When they were out and I got mine, the finishes I saw were Cinnamon, brown and later on a grayish type finish. I saw the gray ones about a year after I got mine.

It's a damn fine sounding guitar! I bought a 2000 Les Paul Special SL for my son for Christmas and it sounds incredible. Why Gibson no longer makes these I have no idea. The guy I bought it from had put a Seymour Duncan 59 Humbucker at the bridge and it just screams. It's definitly not a show piece Les Paul it's a giging guitar!

Archived