Gibson Brands Forums

Chambered LesPaul care

kelv_w

Hi guys

I'm just wondering if a chambered LP susceptible to humidity as a semihollow guitar? Reason I am asking because my LP Standard '09's body binding has cracked and as told by my Luthier, it could be the wood shrinking/expanding?[biggrin]

I'm just wondering if a chambered LP susceptible to humidity as a semihollow guitar?

In short, not even close.

Don't worry about the body, in all likelihood the fretboard is where you'll see it first.

If you're in the UK, then I assume you're running a heater in your house?

That will drop humidity in a hurry.

Then, if you turn the heat off (or way down) when you leave then there's lotsa thermal cycling your guitar

won't like. It will express its displeasure by developing cracks on the fretboard.

Temperature swings are the first and biggest killer.

You cannot control humidity if the temp is up and down.

Spend a little money and get a digital temp/humidity display.

You can get a nice one with an atomic clock and a remote for outside meaurements for $50 in the USA.

www2.oregonscientific.com/cat-Lifestyle-sub-Weather-Buff.html

I have three of them.

The idea isn't so much to keep your temp and humidity exact, but to help recognize when extremes may be

torturing your guitar. Humidity around 45% is ideal, and in the Arizona desert I have no trouble doing that.

Hot or cold isn't such a big deal, if you're comfy then the guitar will be.

Just try to keep it consistent - like away from windows and where the heat doesn't blow directly on it.

Thanks for the reply, i have a hygrometer to monitor the temp and humidity. It doesn't vary too much with an average 59% during winter and drops to 50% with the heating on which I don't do very often. The fretboard is fine with no signs of cracks or dryness. However the strange thing is, my truss rod cover begun to have cracks at the bottom.

It does stays in the case when not played. I do find it strange that it develops these cracks on the body binding and TRC after 10 months.

Doesn't sound like it's your fault or the fault of your environment as you keep temp and humidity fairly constant and also have other LPs which are (presumably) unaffected.

I wonder if the plastic that has been used is faulty in some way.

In any case, as a 9 month old guitar, you should be covered by the warranty.

Doesn't sound like it's your fault or the fault of your environment as you keep temp and humidity fairly constant and also have other LPs which are (presumably) unaffected.

I wonder if the plastic that has been used is faulty in some way.

In any case' date=' as a 9 month old guitar, you should be covered by the warranty.[/quote']

Finish/Binding damage are the one thing that the Gibson warranty does not cover. There was a thread a week ago in the lounge about this.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26723

Thanks for the link, I've missed that posting.

I've had the Standard sent back to Gibson awhile back as they've agreed to replace it under warranty. Although not an issue now, but was just thinking if the problem will occur again with the new replacement, hence the thread. Wasn't sure if it's a defect or chambering that caused it, but thanks for clearing it up.

Archived