Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic VS Robot guitar

daveinspain

My Robot sounds so good its scary! When I pick it up to play it feels great and when I strum it it rings out loud and clear. I can hear a full spectrum of harmonics and it has a rich, warm, round sound and thats unplugged!! When I pick up my classic it sounds harsh, brittle and doesn't ring out. I couldn't believe there could be such a drastic sound difference between two Les Pauls. I'm still talking unplugged. I figured the strings must be dead on the classic so I changed the strings but I still didn't get the rich full sound I get with the robot.... OK I have had the Classic longer and I think I may have messed up the set up changing strings and stuff. I guess I should take it to a luthier for a new good set up.

Other observations. The saddles in the robot's bridge are rollers unlike the typical notched wedge shaped saddles. The robots bridge looks better all around The hight of the bridge and stop bar on the two guitars seem to be about the same. Also the saddle adjustment screws face up toward the pick-up on the robot while on the classic they face down to the stop bar...

front.jpg

CIMG1509_1-1.jpg

*shrugs*

They say robots will destroy the world so I don't see why they won't dominate the guitar industry as well. This including Les Paul Classics.

Honestly though, the robot guitar seems like a giant gimmick to me...is it *really* worth the money? I think I'll keep my Standard, I'm content with tuning it myself. It never goes out of tune anyway. :-)

Ok... I confess, I bought my Robot because I got caught up in the hype.... but I bought it from guitar center the day they came out. The price was good about the same price I payed for the classic but a much better guitar. Bound headstock, ebony fretboard and better pick ups... It was well worth it, every penny...

I also considered the Robot but decided against it for 2 reasons... 1: Lack of finish choice 2: There's just plain "more to go wrong" with it.

My local store also commented that a Robot guitar from the 1st run "will burn down your house" but I'm putting that down to the fact he didn't have any!

Back to your post. I had the same issue with an '05 Classic, even BEFORE it was amp'd up. Don't get me started on those ceramic joke pup's either! Where is my Classic now? On the 'recently traded-in' shelf at o nearby dealer. Never felt right.

Glad you love your Robot. A rolling capo on my Standard (which NEVER goes out of tune) does the job for me right now, but one day there will be a Robot in my studio - no fear!

Ryan

Haha' date=' I dont think I could ever get rid of a Gibby, you've got balls Bullet![/quote']

It didn't hurt to get shot of the Classic - only had it 3 wks so I see it as an "expensive audition" - especially when you factor in the 4 x Semour Duncan pups I bought for it before deciding it was time to let go.

No, what really hurt was to say goodbye to my Alpine White Studio that was also part of the trade-in. Had it 13yrs. Played in 3 bands with it. But, I just can't justify 2 Les Pauls - and the Std that I eventually plumped for I am convinced is my "guitar for life"... (see avatar)

I love the idea of the Robot. When they're cheaper and in more finishes I'll get me one.

Ryan

I love the idea of the Robot. When they're cheaper and in more finishes I'll get me one.

Ryan

I don't think they are going to get any cheaper but I maybe wrong. $2100 is the going rate of the first limited run and there are a few still out there in stores they did not sell out.

The next batch of robots I heard would sell for over $3000.

The Robot guitar may get alot of criticism from purists (I consider myself a pursit in terms of 50's & 60's gear by the way), but I think the Robot guitar just like the Strat VG offers some tools that gigging musicians may find useful. The Line 6 guitar that tried the emulation route was pure crap in my book, but I give it credit for starting this trend.

Back to the Robot LP and SG: I play some songs in Drop D and DADGAD tuning, and to be able to turn a knob and be in those tunings is pretty useful. As for the self tuning, well I am sure there are alot of people who may find that useful, while others may call it a Gimmick.

Put this pursist in the camp that says the Robot guitar is pretty cool, and would be quite useful. Will it catch on? Time will tell.

Ryan

I don't think they are going to get any cheaper but I maybe wrong. $2100 is the going rate of the first limited run and there are a few still out there in stores they did not sell out.

The next batch of robots I heard would sell for over $3000.

My dealer hasn't mentioned the price increase, but i would guess if Gibson can fill the initial builds with demand, then why shouldnt they see if the demand will pony up more dough for them... Supply:Demand ratios at it's best (or worst depending on your point of view).

My Robot sounds so good its scary! When I pick it up to play it feels great and when I strum it it rings out loud and clear. I can hear a full spectrum of harmonics and it has a rich' date=' warm, round sound and thats unplugged!!

[img']http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Daveinspain_PB/front.jpg[/img]

I like the look alot. The salesman at my local dealer did a demo and I thought it was a pretty cool guitar.

Your's looks great!

Slap on some Elixir Nano strings and spend some time setting the neck relief (very gradually)' date=' bridge height and then intonation. You'll fall back in love!

[/quote']

Neck relief? Ok so hear comes the stupid question.... Whats that? You mean truss rod?

Hey thanks LPDEN... What's cool about the Robot silverburst is the way they did the silver to blue blend... There is a slight metal flake that catches the light in different ways so depending on the angel and light source the look changes a lot... As you can see from the difference in the photo and my avatar.

Leftside.jpg

Archived