Gibson Brands Forums

Stock String Gauge Question

Aaresz

I own a Gibson J160e Lennon Peace model and it's time to replace the strings. Though I am uncertain what the correct string gauge currently is. My guess is Masterbuilt 12's, though when I contacted Gibson Customer Service they assured me it should be Brite-Wires in 11. I cannot locate the Customer Service phone number I had for Bozeman where this model comes out of so I am deferring to the next best thing.

I appreciate your assistance. O:)

• 5 months later...
I own a Gibson J160e Lennon Peace model and it's time to replace the strings. Though I am uncertain what the correct string gauge currently is. My guess is Masterbuilt 12's' date=' though when I contacted Gibson Customer Service they assured me it should be Brite-Wires in 11. I cannot locate the Customer Service phone number I had for Bozeman where this model comes out of so I am deferring to the next best thing.

I appreciate your assistance. :D

[/quote']

While most acoustics leave the factory with Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze strings, the J160E Peace comes set up with Gibson L5 strings, to the best of my knowledge. They are nickel-wound, not phosphor bronze. Brite Wires are normally used on the purely electric models.

Red 333

While most acoustics leave the factory with Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze strings' date=' the J160E Peace comes set up with Gibson L5 strings, to the best of my knowledge. They are nickel-wound, not phosphor bronze. Brite Wires are normally used on the purely electric models.

Red 333 [/quote']

That makes sense because of the P90 pickup. To get that Lennon J160e sound (I Feel Fine), the nickle wound strings work much better than standard bronze acoustic strings.

Archived