Gibson Brands Forums

Do I need a humidifier?

meanstreak

Hi guys, I asked this on the Epi forums but thought I'd ask here too,

I've just moved back to the Houston area and the guitars I now have are -

Epi PR-150 1999

Epi Hummingbird 1994

Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M 2009

I'd really like to take the best care of them that I can, so I'm wondering if I need a humidifier or not. Today I ordered a masterbilt case with the built-in hygrometer, so I guess I will be able to give you guys more info on the humidity level in my house when it arrives. Whatever the number is, is it a general rule that yes you need one for a solid top or all-solid guitar?

Hi guys' date=' I asked this on the Epi forums but thought I'd ask here too,

I've just moved back to the Houston area and the guitars I now have are -

Epi PR-150 1999

Epi Hummingbird 1994

Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M 2009

I'd really like to take the best care of them that I can, so I'm wondering if I need a humidifier or not. Today I ordered a masterbilt case with the built-in hygrometer, so I guess I will be able to give you guys more info on the humidity level in my house when it arrives. Whatever the number is, is it a general rule that yes you need one for a solid top or all-solid guitar? [/quote']

Do any of those guitars have a solid wood top? I'm pretty sure the PR and the Hummingbird are ply but I think the Masterbilt is a solid topped guitar. The ply guitars are not as fragile as the solid wood guitar. I've never worried about a ply guitar as long as it isn't subjected to extremes. However, the solid wood guitar needs humidification if the RH drops below 40% RH.

ya the PR-150 is all ply so no worries about that one, but the hummingbirdbird is solid top with ply back and sides, the masterbilt is all solid wood, spruce top with mahogany back and sides. I've not been able to afford a real Gibson yet, but the Masterbilt is my first all-solid wood guitar and I'd really like to take the best care that I can of it!

Being that its really humid in houston i figure i should be ok, but I will have a look at the hygrometer when it comes in the mail.

It can't hurt. From what I've read' date=' it's almost impossible to over-humidify a guitar. Even in Houston.

[/quote']

You definitely want to get a couple hygrometers to keep in the area of your guitars! Stop in at a local Cigar shop and you can get them for maybe $15 a peice.

You can definitely over humidify a guitar. Keep them at 40% - 60% relative humidity. Too dry and the wood shrinks as the moisture evaporates ....Too humid and the extra moisture will swell the wood. Where I live in No California we very rarely get over 60% RH for any length of time ....especially indoors. So I run a room humidifier that cycles on when RH goes below about 45%. In the southern states and east .....a long humid summer with an evaporation A/C unit (swamp cooler) will do as much damage as the Mojave Desert in August. I know many in humid areas will also run a dehumidifier when required.

Just remember 40% - 60% and you are golden ..if you are comfortable then your guitars will be too. If you feel sticky and sweaty or if you feel too dry and get chapped lips ...then your guitars are uncomfortable too!

You can definitely over humidify a guitar. Keep them at 40% - 60% relative humidity. Too dry and the wood shrinks as the moisture evaporates ....Too humid and the extra moisture will swell the wood.

Which doesn't damage the guitar. I dont see the point of a hygrometer in Houston unless you like gadgets.

• 2 weeks later...

well the hygrometer is saying 80%! We don't run the heat that much in the winter, but we do run the a/c plenty in the summer so I think I will be fine then. In the meantime other than running the heat more what can I do to bring it down to 60%? do they make room de-humidifiers?

well the hygrometer is saying 80%! We don't run the heat that much in the winter' date=' but we do run the a/c plenty in the summer so I think I will be fine then. In the meantime other than running the heat more what can I do to bring it down to 60%? do they make room de-humidifiers?[/quote']

Yes they do there are other places to look but here are a few.

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/compare-dehumidifiers.html

Archived