Gibson Brands Forums

VOX VT50 valvetronix amp.

Thundergod

I just bought a VOX valvetronix amp for the rehearsal room of the new studio, didn't want to use tube amps or MY amps in there because lots of different guys will use the amps in there and the probability of them damaging the amps is high.

I got a 50W 1x12 valvetronix from vox, a 100 W 2x12 marshall MG and a 60W 1x12 fender FM.

Of all of them the one that really sounds great is the vox vt50. Out of the box it's usable and you don't need to tweak anything unless you need fx, and even then it's really easy to use.

I played it side by side with the other 2 amps. Then I played it with the AC30, princeton and supersonic... the amp is way above the others in it's class (marshall mg and fender fm) and not far below good tube amps, maybe 7 out of 10 where I rate my tube amps a 10 out of 10 and the other solid states (fender, marshall, randall and peavey included) a 3.5

There's a 2x12 version of this amp that must be great, the shop I bought from didn't have them and won't order them so I got the 1x12, it's got an external/extension speaker jack anyway.

Now the best feature: It's got sort of a tube power amp (powered electronically by the same tube they use for preamp emulation) and you get a power atenuator thing that allows you to go from 0.15W to 50W surprisingly it works and doesn't take away the nice tone of the amp when you turn it down.

Preamps are good sounding and convincing, the EQ section responsive. The overdriven preamp models are not as responsive to guitar volume changes as those in the Tonelab but they sound nice anyway and with a footswitch (I'm hoping the one I got with my AC30 will work) you can change channels (from clean to OD or crunch) and turn on the fx section.

The fx section has most of the fx you usually use: reverb, wah, delay, chorus, phaser and more. They have 3 tweakable parameters and seem to be easily engaged and set to the desired settings.

Now, after playing with 4 different guitars I noticed it did show the tonal differences in them, while the fender did in clean settings and the marshall didn't in any setting (it sounded flat and feeling-less both in clean and crunch channels). The overall tone is really nice, the high gain amp models are good for hard rock and metal, the nu metal model really sounds like it (as much as I don't like nu metal I had to give it a try anyway), the clean tones are a little solid state sounding but it's a hybrid amp anyway. The AC15 and 30 tones are nice, not really like a real ac30 or 15 but nice anyway.

The amp can be used for home, rehearsals and even for gigs, at 50W it really is loud, specially for a 1x12.

I think I'll give it another run tomorrow and see what else it's got, but right now I think it's one of the best amps you can get for the money.

I've had one now for over a year and loved the tone on just about every setting. It has enough effects so I can just plug and play without dragging out all my effects pedals. If you have more than one axe it makes it easy to dial up an amp to match it.

The best part is the amp wattage changer thingy. It allows me to keep the same tone but doesn't send the wife running to the other side of the house. Nice multi purpose amp.

The VT Series is a very good amp. If I was looking for something other than pure tube, that is what I would go for.

That being said, I am very much looking forward to the Mesa Transatlantic, hope to save up enough to get one this summer, and later get an Orange Dual Terror, Vox Night Train and a Jet City head.

Cool stuff though

I know what you mean about leaving stuff in the jam space. I used to leave my pedals and amp at my friends studio because I jam there all the time and I'm too lazy to set up and tear down every time.

Everytime I go there everything has been messed with and abused carelessly and sometimes stuff goes missing.

It drives me insane. I'll never leave my new amp in there and I would never leave a guitar in there.

One of my friends has one of those Valvetronix amps. I'd rather just stick with tube amps but if that works out for you then it's cool. The AC30 definately sucks to move around. Could be worse though.

I've had one now for a few months. They rock, and won't break the bank. I have to vt30 but I used to have the old series AD100vt. Compare the ad to the vt? Night and day . Vt is a huge step up from the ad. Nice to just pickup the amp and go with no pedals [cool]

Archived