Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Doves in Flight Custom

bjgolf54

I'll state the obvious: The MSRP is $7514 and the MAP is $5799

There's a used 2008 up for bid on ebay, buy it now price $4295

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Doves-In-Flight-Mint-Shape-Custom-Collectors_W0QQitemZ140375013400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20af00b818

Elderly had a 2001 rated EC+ for $4200 a while back, it's now sold

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-10631.htm

Elderly is usually right in the ball park on ratings and prices.

Thanks for the information Big Kahuna. Very Helpful. The one I looked at was 4500. Excellent condition.

$4500 is too much' date=' I think. Mine was $4400 at GC in SF, but they came down to $3500. Does the one you saw have the cherry back & sides?

Here's mine, (I LOVE posting pics of it!)

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/Doves%20In%20Flight/DSC01308.jpg[/img]

DSC01311.jpg

It's been my experience that used guitars of recent vintage usually go for about 70% of current selling price .

Using BigKahune's #'s translates to $4059.00

Try for less and don't pay more.

Good Luck

DanvillRob - I've seen your DIF pics before' date=' but damn, they [i']are[/i] stunning . . . everytime. I still can't get over the price you paid. A very sweet deal. [cool]

bjgolf54 - Good luck dude. I hope you find a deal like DanvillRob's.

BK... thanks.... I think I was pretty lucky myself!

I'm on the hunt for a great deal on a Hummingbird KOA now!

(damn... I WILL end up sleeping in the garage!)

DanvillRob, to check out a nice Hummingbird Koa proceed directly to Haight Ashbury Music Center on Haight St in SF. I don't know the details of it but i look at it every so often (it's up out of reach). I'm sure they'd work a nice deal for you if it was the one.

DanvillRob' date=' to check out a nice Hummingbird Koa proceed directly to Haight Ashbury Music Center on Haight St in SF. I don't know the details of it but i look at it every so often (it's up out of reach). I'm sure they'd work a nice deal for you if it was the one.[/quote']

I'll check it out... Thanks for the heads up!!

Thanks for the info DanvillRob and other guys who have posted. i agree the $4000 mark would be the number. My luthier is the owner so i know it will be around for a while. He doesn't seem to rush to sell any of his guitars. He just set up my 69 hummingbird and man it sounds sweet now.

That really is a very beautiful guitar, it's a work of art. For me personally I prefer much simpler looking guitars, and of course a lot of the price you pay for a guitar like that is for the decoration. For example there is no difference in the construction of Martin D-45 and an HD-28 other than the finish/inlays but there is a very significant price difference. So you can get the same sound for a lot less. I think there is also a great deal of beauty in the plainer looking guitars, and it's just a matter of taste. Nevertheless that Dove does look VERY beautiful indeed. Thanks for posting it.

That really is a very beautiful guitar' date=' it's a work of art. For me personally I prefer much simpler looking guitars, and of course a lot of the price you pay for a guitar like that is for the decoration. For example there is no difference in the construction of Martin D-45 and an HD-28 other than the finish/inlays but there is a very significant price difference. So you can get the same sound for a lot less. I think there is also a great deal of beauty in the plainer looking guitars, and it's just a matter of taste. Nevertheless that Dove does look VERY beautiful indeed. Thanks for posting it.[/quote']

KL, yeah...you're right about the extra cost in the "fancier guitars". In fact, I normally play a Dove. I've had it for 30 years and there is no sweeter sounding and playing guitar. My reason for the Doves In Flight is to be able to leave it to one of my grandkids. How I wish someone had done that for me.

For me, the extra cost was worth it.

KL' date=' yeah...you're right about the extra cost in the "fancier guitars". In fact, I normally play a Dove. I've had it for 30 years and there is no sweeter sounding and playing guitar. My reason for the Doves In Flight is to be able to leave it to one of my grandkids. How I wish someone had done that for me.

For me, the extra cost was worth it.[/quote']

Rob....NOTHING like a little bling....by the way, was your guitar bought new or used? Pretty good price either way.....niiiiiice...

Rob....NOTHING like a little bling....by the way' date=' was your guitar bought new or used? Pretty good price either way.....niiiiiice...[/quote']

It was used 2006, but not a mark on it. I can't tell it was ever played! I've only played it in sweats.... I'm afraid of "button rash", (not to mention buckle rash!).

Rob....I baby mine too....except for the vintage ones......I feel it is my duty to add a little of my own "mojo" If I had your guitar I would do the same.....lol

You know' date=' my Dove is not abused...but it IS played...and played hard at times...but the Doves In Flight is just too...well, you know!

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/Dove/DSC01282.jpg?t=1265236397[/img]

Archived