Gibson Brands Forums

Now What?

Andre S

Did you make sure the green toggle switch cable is connected to ground?

When I rewired my Explorer I had the same exact problem, I checked an re-checked to then realize that the green cable goes to ground and not the black one.

Did you make sure the green toggle switch cable is connected to ground?

When I rewired my Explorer I had the same exact problem' date=' I checked an re-checked to then realize that the green cable goes to ground and not the black one. [/quote']

..but there is no hum...

or sound...

before there was hum...

so I'm not sure if its the jack or the pup connections or what....

To let a pro check it out, will take till, Feb 15ish

They are still in Cali after NAMM

That is exactly what happened to my Explorer' date=' there was not a sound, nothing.

Not even a tuner registered anything.[/quote']

What the hell......

Ok, so what did you do? you ensured the green toggle ground wire was connected to the same as the wire in a yellow covering connected to a lug, which goes to the output jack?

And then what?

Waitaminute... before you had pure gibby sound and a little hum... you fixed it and now there's no hum BUT no sound either? :-k

Did you try conecting your amp to a different wall outlet before opening the guitar up? A different room? Different shoes? Was the hum present only when you didn't touch the strings or any metal on the guitar?

Ok, no, the full story, continued from a coupla threads back:

I rewired it to have 2 vol and master tone, but it didn't work, so i tried to wire it back to originalness, and then all I got was a hum.

Took it to a store, but won't be done till 15th of feb so they said bring it back when their tech gets back from cali, went for namm.

So i tried to fix it got rid of the hum but still no sound,

What the hell......

Ok' date=' so what did you do? you ensured the green toggle ground wire was connected to the same as the wire in a yellow covering connected to a lug, which goes to the output jack?

And then what?[/quote']

I checked every connection the following day and quickly realized I had inverted a couple of cables, green and black.

I realized that the checks I did before where more based on assumptions than looking at the wiring diagram.

The issue is going to be so simple you will feel silly after you find it.

Thanks TGod and Stiff, I really feel like a d!ck saying this, but I've done that many times already and theres nothing wrong as far as I can see!!

Maybe I should just leave it for the techie...

One last question..

I saw someguy on youtube who built a replica gibson 59 connected the bridge pickup directly to the output jack. Do you need to ground anything?

Just trying to find a way to play till its properly fixed.

You can connect right to the output jack from the pickup' date=' put the ground wire on the terminal that hits the main part of the plug not the tip area....

and try that out. So you connect the pup wires right to the jack.[/quote']

k thanks..

I'll try it without solder first...

I'm coming in late on this but it sounds like you have nothing to lose and nothing to do until 15Feb anyway.

So is this a Gibson Les Paul? new/used?

What exactly were you trying to accomplish?

Do you have before and after pics of the wiring?

Did you make a diagram of how the wires were connected before you de-soldered anything?

Where did you get the schematic and/or wire diagram to make the changes? Where can we see a copy of thus said diagram?

What type of pick-ups are you using? Different brand pick-ups have different color codes.

I'm coming in late on this but it sounds like you have nothing to lose and nothing to do until 15Feb anyway.

So is this a Gibson Les Paul? new/used?

What exactly were you trying to accomplish?

Do you have before and after pics of the wiring?

Did you make a diagram of how the wires were connected before you de-soldered anything?

Where did you get the schematic and/or wire diagram to make the changes? Where can we see a copy of thus said diagram?

What type of pick-ups are you using? Different brand pick-ups have different color codes.

My 08 LP studio, bought new.

Trying to change original wiring, to 2 vol, master tone to install fishman and powerchip after.

no pics, but great memory of it : )

Yep, diagram made.

Schematic to make changes, was from Seymour duncan.com

Gibson 490R/498T original studio buckers.

The seymour duncan diagram was for a 4 conductor, but when checking it on MLP, they said to remove the other color wires and the black lead, is to be followed with the lead from the pickup.

My 08 LP studio' date=' bought new.

Trying to change original wiring, to 2 vol, master tone to install fishman and powerchip after.

no pics, but great memory of it : )

Yep, diagram made.

Schematic to make changes, was from Seymour duncan.com

Gibson 490R/498T original studio buckers.

The seymour duncan diagram was for a 4 conductor, but [b']when checking it on MLP, they said to remove the other color wires and the black lead, is to be followed with the lead from the pickup.

[/b]

I'm not sure what that means exactly. However your Gibson wire colors should be as follows:

Standard Humbucker

Red = Hot +

Green & White = Solder together and tape

Black = Ground with bare wire

Parallel Humbucker

Red & Green = Hot +

Black & White = Ground with bare wire

So as a comparison here is Seymour's color code

Standard Humbucking:

Black = Hot +

Red & White = solder together and tape

Green = ground

So on your Seymour wire diagram cross out all the words black and write in the Gibson color = Red

Cross out Red & White and write in Green & White

Cross out Green and write in Black.

Make sure all of your colors are correct

It's late and I'm off to bed. I'll check back tomorrow so make sure all of your color connections are correct.

EDIT: So I got to thinking... are those 490/498's 2 conductor pups? Either way, when you solder the two wires together your makng them 2 conductor... it's been a while since I played with Gibson pups.

Ok, some good news.

I was going to solder the pickup lead directly to the jack just to play until the tech fixed it.

So this morning when I got up to do the job, I accidently dropped the screwdriver in the control cavity.

It hit the neck pickup lead that solders to a lug after being grounded, and it was loose!

This was from yesterday, when I removed the control plate, to clean up some connections, like the metal thing that goes to the output jack.

I connected it properly and I got sound!!!

However the bridge doesnt seem to work..yet.

At least I can narrow it down to one part of the circuit.

You know I have often just plugged up a guitar that is having a problem turn the amp on low and stuck my hand in the wires and moved stuff around a little when there was a problem......not recommended....but helped resolve many a problem fairly quickly when it was a simple loose wire.

You know I have often just plugged up a guitar that is having a problem turn the amp on low and stuck my hand in the wires and moved stuff around a little when there was a problem......not recommended....but helped resolve many a problem fairly quickly when it was a simple loose wire.

Not sure its a loose wire for the bridge, but I dídn't look at it yet, too happy that its working partially.

Archived