Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys think of the lp studio worn ?

Rizz

Ok I have 2 strats but I want a les paul or a sg well actually both but I need to choose one first (the wifes involved here )now I played a cherry worn the other day and I really liked it, but its no looker, I have seen a slightly more expensive studio plus with aa flame top in midnight blue with black hardware and zebra pups, my main concern is the paint on the back of the neck, (its online so havent tried it) its real smooth on the worn finish but looks like crap, the blue one looks nice but im worried about the sticiky paint neck, last choice slightly less than the studio plus, is the sg, now i tried a epi sg loved the upper fret access didnt like the painted neck again, what would you do in my situation, does it take long to wear down the top coat from playing ? the sg looks sweet so does the les paul plus and to be honest the les paul is asking to be bought first.

there is one last choice for £100 more than the studio I can get a dc pro or for 150 more I can get a lp standard faded with 50,s neck i like the idea of the dc pro over the sg to be honest.

prices vs quality

lp studio worn 550

sg standard 699

lp aa flmae top plus 780

lp double cut pro 899

lp standard faded 950

Alot of the complaints were how the frets were seated and dressed. Check the neck real good. Many out of the box needed a set-up too, even if ever so slightly. Alot came out with high actions, which were done to keep the neck from being buzzy.

Other than that they play and sound great, I think worn finishes are some of the coolest guitars around...

I have a studio in vintage mahogany. A real pearl, great sounding and playing guitar. I had to play 20 something before finding the right one. They are good, but do not buy without playing it first.

They can also look good, check out my introduction thread, I have a picture of it there.

I have a studio in vintage mahogany. A real pearl' date=' great sounding and playing guitar. I had to play 20 something before finding the right one. They are good, but do not buy without playing it first.

They can also look good, check out my introduction thread, I have a picture of it there.[/quote']

Tell the truth Phil, you just love playing guitars before you buy them! LOL! Actualy it's true, it can take a while to find that "one".

Tell the truth Phil' date=' you just love playing guitars before you buy them! LOL! Actualy it's true, it can take a while to find that "one".[/quote']

Alright, I confess! I do love playing guitar before I buy them, because every guitar has a different character.

But I stand behind that method, as I feel it is good advice.

The studio will serve you well if you find one you can connect with.

The problem I have is I would be lucky to find a shop with more than 2 of the same guitar making the selection process very limited. Infact most of them you play and buy the display model, you got to love the choice England has to offer.

The problem I have is I would be lucky to find a shop with more than 2 of the same guitar making the selection process very limited. Infact most of them you play and buy the display model' date=' you got to love the choice England has to offer.[/quote']

Find a shop that has one and ask if they'll include a set-up with the purchase. If they do, you'll probably be very happy.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2002 dark red mahogany studio which I received in trade for a 92 black nitro finish SG. The neck on the LP feels great. I've had no issues going from the nitro lacquor to the natural finish. My MIM Tele has some kind of satin finish. They don't feel all that different. What you may want to consider is the scale. The LP has the 24 3/4" neck. The SG has a 25 1/2" neck (like all the Fenders out there). Add to that the slim taper vs regular and you have some very different feeling necks. Play them all.....every one of them.

There is also the 7 Lb vs 11 lb difference. I like the pounds so it's no big deal to me.

My LP came with burstbuckers so tone is a little more difficult to compare.

Set up is a big issue. Find a good shop and take the new guitar and your old favorite guitar. Let the guy set up the new one to resemble your favorite.

Or, just buy them all and don't tell your wife eusa_naughty.gif

Does the Studio in worn cherry have a carved top or is it flat. Thanks

ALL Studios are carved top, just a no frills (or ugly) Standard.

The Special or Junior is a flat body, very cool guitars in their own right.

VM Studio is quite the player!!!! the "faded" satin finish makes playing much easier IMO. I want one as a backup to my Standard. I'd probably play it more often than my Standard where I wouldn't worry about scratching it or anything. Its funny, if I was a beginner, I'd buy one of the VM Studio's before I would by a "pretty" but less quality guitar, and was on a budget. For all those who can afford to buy multi LP's, try one. I think you just might buy it, and keep the mileage off of your most prized LP's.

What's not to like. This is my boy's VM Studio. The pic was taken without even a wipe down. I think she's grand. He had to play 4-6 different ones to get that sweet one, but this thing is ready to rock out!

Listen to what these good people tell ya. Try to find a few models and maybe a few of each, or at least a setup included.

100_0649.jpg

Archived