Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting Comparison...

jimmiJAMM

relic'd guitars are crap. I can't believe people even buy them. Personally I try to condition and keep my guitar looking as new as possible. It's not that hard. I have no desire to emulate people who treat their guitars like trash.

I'm the same way. The way I see it' date=' it's like this: you bought the guitar, you take care of it. [biggrin

I'm the same way. The way I see it' date=' it's like this: you bought the guitar, you take care of it. [thumbup']

Point taken but in all fairness, the guy played guitar for The Doors. His guitar's gonna get a bit banged up along the way. It's a miracle he's still alive. At least he didn't smash 'em to pieces on stage.

Point taken but in all fairness' date=' the guy played guitar for The Doors. His guitar's gonna get a bit banged up along the way. It's a miracle he's still alive. At least he didn't smash 'em to pieces on stage.

[/quote']

I meant for personal use, of course.

For on-stage performances all bets are off.

Burn 'em, smash 'em, beat 'em up...It's part of the performance.

Well i guess i gonna defend the relic guitar since i got the Angus sig[biggrin] It sure sounds great the angus sig. Have a friend that are a amazing guitar player, and he loved it. I got two beauties in my sg 61 and my Les Paul standard 2008, so when i got a chance to get a Angus relic , i went for it. Don't regret it. In some views and in the night it looks amazing . But i do understand people don't like it.

I think some of them are good for display, but honestly, a guitar should never be on display! They were meant to be played! If i get a guitar, i want it either new from my generation so i can call it my own(as in this was my standard sg, not anyone else's signature), or get a vintage guitar from the 50's to the late 80s. I've always wanted to own Flying Vs, Explorers, Melody Makers, Les Pauls, and all kind of Gibson instruments. But relic guitars? I think i'll pass. As much of a die hard AC/DC fan i am, i still like to see all of angus' guitars from now and then. They're not left handed anyways.

relic'd guitars are crap. I can't believe people even buy them. Personally I try to condition and keep my guitar looking as new as possible. It's not that hard. I have no desire to emulate people who treat their guitars like trash.

I'm the same way. The way I see it' date=' it's like this: you bought the guitar, you take care of it. [thumbup

Ok but the thing is how often do you guys gig your guitars? He's been gigging his since 67 I'm sure. I've got an 08 Standard I got in December of 08 people look at it and think its 10 years old because of the wear on it, its not because I don't take care of my guitar, its because its been around the country in a trailer 6 times, its been flown to the Europe and Japan. No matter what I do I can't keep my guitar in pristine condition like people who leave their guitar at home and just play in their guitar room/bed room. Things happen. Sweating on it every night takes its tole, constant string changes, temperature changes, altitude changes, all these things affect the guitar. Maybe thats why its in as bad of shape as it is. Look at Angus's very first SG I read an article in Guitar Legends Mag some years ago where he said the only original part of that guitar was the neck. It even had the body replaced because it was so water logged from the sweat he put in it every night. It had the headstock broke off numerous times. Just remember these things happen.

Now for why people buy these guitars: Imagine your a huge fan of this guy, you saw him when you were 13 and it changed your life forever. When something like that happens you remember all the small things forever. The guitar he played is a big part of you being a fan of him, you just thought it was sooo cool. Now your in your 40's and you have a chance to not only buy a piece of one of your guitar hero's history, you have a chance to buy a piece of your history. That is why people buy it. Trust me I'd put a bullet in the head of everyone on my street in a hart beat to get one of those aged Angus sig's.

EDIT: I read the rest of the posts [biggrin] But in all fairness I just wanted you guys to cut some slack on the guy for messing up his guitar. Plus I put a lot of thought into that little paragraph which is why I chose to add this little edit instead of editing my previous writing.

Same way. But, despite this, I am a great fan of The Doors (Robby Krieger's band). I love every single one of their songs, and this guitar player in particular influenced me to buy an SG (I saw him holding one on the back cocer of "The Doors:In Concert". I would buy this one -if I had money- but I'd keep it in a safe place so it doesn't get (more) damaged.

Archived