Gibson Brands Forums

DANGER! DANGER! Musicians Friend Presidents Day Weekend Sale...

pearsonrj

... just got the e-mail from www.musiciansfriend.com. Up to 15% off or $500. So that vintage sunburst Les Paul Traditional Pro I've been lusting after is just $1,699 with the coupon. I can just see it now - "Happy Valentine's Day Honey - I got you some flowers. Yeah, they were pretty expensive. You don't, er, need to get me anything, I took care of it..." My wife would likely kill me.. but it is SO tempting.

Oh, yeah - it looks like the Silverburst Studio went up $100 also, now it's $1,399 at MF and GC (before any coupon).

My birthday is over the Memorial Day weekend, so I should wait until then and hope they have another 15% off coupon.

Brave man jnastynebre. I teach the guitar so I have an excuse for buying stuff from time to time, but I already have 10 guitars (most are cheap acoustics) and my wife doesn't understand why one won't do. I went to GC last summer to 'try out' a Telecaster, having never played one. Came out with a '52 vintage reissue Tele and a Fender Blues Deluxe amp. Complete impulse purchase, threw every guideline for purchasing a guitar out of the window, but I love them both. Probably could have done with a MIA standard Tele and saved myself $600, but I just loved the color (Butterscotch) of it.

This is fine for the smaller stuff. But, sorry, this is one of the biggest scams out there for the big ticket items. Any local music store will usually give you more than 15% off on an item. If you don't have a local store then you've got no choice. However, for me I'm sticking with the HOG in Rochester...

DANGER! DANGER! - Tell me about it. The '57 reissue that I've been lusting after will be $3,150 this weekend. I've got half that in the guitar fund but I could stretch for this deal.

Rocketman - I hear you but in my area none of the local shops carry anything like this. The only guitar I have even thought about at a local shop was an Eric Johnson Stratocaster but it was gone before I could get back. So, I'm pretty much limited to what I find in the two local GC.

Brave man jnastynebre. I teach the guitar so I have an excuse for buying stuff from time to time' date=' but I already have 10 guitars (most are cheap acoustics) and my wife doesn't understand why one won't do. I went to GC last summer to 'try out' a Telecaster, having never played one. Came out with a '52 vintage reissue Tele and a Fender Blues Deluxe amp. Complete impulse purchase, threw every guideline for purchasing a guitar out of the window, but I love them both. Probably could have done with a MIA standard Tele and saved myself $600, but I just loved the color (Butterscotch) of it.[/quote']

I had the butterscotch blone '52 in my hands moments before bringing the strat to the sales counter. Unfortunately, the thing had been on the wall for almost 2 years and was already lightly reliced from constant abuse. Even then I had to buy the Stratocaster. It was built for me.

001-1.jpg

Well... I forwarded the MF coupon e-mail to my wife and she said 'if you treat me right this weekend...'. I'm toast. I've been told many times that I haven't treated her right since the day we met... :-

My wife and I have a "one in/one out" understanding. She doesn't want me starting a collection of guitars that will mostly sit in their cases unplayed. That's mostly because I have a couple friends who do collect. One of this has about 90 guitars and the other has 60.

3 weeks ago I got a call from my salesperson at GC' date=' who said he just got in STd. Trad. Plus Ice Tea and if I was interested, he would hold it for me. Last December my wife mentioned if I wanted, I could start looking at Gibsons. My wife understands this is my hobby and supports it - within reason. So I called her and asked if she was really serious. She said, it's your money and which guitar is going. The Epi Dot Deluxe was the one that got the axe:-" [biggrin

I had the butterscotch blone '52 in my hands moments before bringing the strat to the sales counter. Unfortunately' date=' the thing had been on the wall for almost 2 years and was already lightly reliced from constant abuse. Even then I had to buy the Stratocaster. It was built for me.

[/quote']

a lesser known GC policy that they never tell anyone, if you ask for a guitar out of the back they have to get it for you and if they don't have one in the back they have to order it for you. I know most GC policy because one of my old friends was a GC manager for a while.

But sweet looking strat!

Archived