Gibson Brands Forums

Stage Call

DanvillRob

Went to see my old group last night at a nightclub in Sonol.

They called me up on stage to sing, "Baby Please Don't Go". I recalled the verses, but couldn't remember the talking part...no problem, I seriously doubt any of the people noticed, (they were either too drunk or too horny).

My first time singing on stage without a guitar/bass in my hands... very uncomfortable, but thought it went well.

The group is made up from members of 2 different 60's era bands + my BIL on bass.

All in all, a good time!

BobAtBoscos2-12-10-c.jpg?t=1266092595

BobAtBoscos2-12-10-d.jpg?t=1266092631

Rob looks like you guys are having a blast.

I wish I'd have savored my time in bands and playing clubs every weekend. I really miss it now so whenever I get the chance to play out I enjoy myself to the max!

Yeah.... but like anything else, the "remembering" is better than the "doing".

I did have fun..... and I didn't have to show up for any practices!!

Now that's my kinda gig. Just rock up and go fer it. God I hate/hated rehearsals.

No kidding.... and getting together once or twice a week is tough at this stage in our lives.... all the family commitments & work... man... kids don't know how good they got it!

No kidding.... and getting together once or twice a week is tough at this stage in our lives.... all the family commitments & work... man... kids don't know how good they got it!

The good thing is' date=' when they're big enough, you can use 'em as roadies! [lol

Yeah' date=' there's not many things more fun than watching an 8 year old and a 10 year old try to put a B3 in a '61 Corvair Van. [biggrin']

HAHAHA...well, 8 might be a might young! Back when I was 15-18 I worked in a music store. I had to move pianos, organs etc. I did move many B3's in an Econoline Van!! But this was from the store to someone's house, and from someone's house back to the store.... or from one store to another, etc.

I think back on all the amps, etc. I moved I wonder why the heck I never bothered to put casters on 'em? I mean we had a Roadie back then, (although at the time we called him a "BandAid"), but you STILL end up moving stuff all the time.

One reason I ended up with my big AIMS tube amp is that, heavy as it was for a 30-year-old, it had casters and others in that general division of amps didn't. Now as a well-past-30-year-old, even that's a bit much, especially with all the snow outside in the winter and you've gotta carry it regardless. <grin>

Looks like too much fun, guys...

One thing I'd say about older musicians, too, is that I think we get more mellow and somewhat less inclined to do everything we're capable of in a given piece.

The acoustic thread on the forums about "what beatle songs do you do acoustic" kind reminded me of that since the Beatles were pretty sharp about doing things for the sound rather than proving virtuosity. That's a lesson it's still hard for me to learn for myself and I'm certainly among the oldest of "regulars" here, if not the oldest...

Oh - and I think another age thing? Darn, but I love the sound of a B3 and a Leslie for blues and jazz.

m

Oh - and I think another age thing? Darn' date=' but I love the sound of a B3 and a Leslie for blues and jazz.

m

[/quote']

Boy ain't that the truth?

I'm not sure there is a good electronic replacement for the old Leslie speaker...and played with the Hammond B3...pure magic! (but danged.... those things were massive!)

Like you, I just don't want to port huge amps around any more. Of course my Dual Showman is ridiculous to move, but even my Bassman is kind of heavy, (both are now on casters). But boy...do they both do the job, when asked!

I simply don't play out any more, and have no plans to start any time soon. I would like to post some videos, so maybe next weekend I'll bumble my way through that process.

B

Archived