Gibson Brands Forums

Question for experienced 335 players

jt335

My wife recently surprised me with an ES-335 Dot Reissue that I had my eye on. It's a beauty and just sounds amazing. But one thing that bothers me is that the high e string seems to slip off the fret edge at times. Mostly towards the nut when playing like a D or G chord, but not so much higher up the neck. Its not terrible, and I don't think its a show stopper. I have not noticed this on my Strat. Was wondering if this is typical of 335's, or is it my playing style? I really do not want to return the guitar because other than that I love it.

My gibson Les Paul custom is like this... Carefully look at your nut (guitar nut that is [biggrin] ).... And see if the spacing is good ... You could always get the nut slightly pushed about 1/16" to correct for this... Or just have another nut put on....

If it bothers you enough, I would do something about it...

I have a 335 and I don't have this issue on it... But then again it's an elitist 335 (Japan)... So it's not an official "Gibson"

JazzGtr, pick attack is not the issue, just fingering the chord causes the string to slip. But you are correct about the lighter touch, with the left hand I mean. That seems to help. Hopefully it will just come naturally as I continue to play the instrument, because I don't want to exchange it for another one.

As CajunBlues writes, the nut slot for the high E string was probably cut slightly off. Was just wondering if this is typical of ES335's.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I don't have that issue with my 335 any more than I do with any other guitar. My belief is that the issue rests more with the player and less with the equipment. Any time it has happened to me, it has been because I have tended to pull on the string, which means I'm not getting the best sound anyway. You can check to see if CajunBlues is correct by doing a simple measurement or even eying to see if it is off. I had an issue with the way the slots were grooved in the bridge of my 335. Just another defect in workmanship from Gibson, but easily remedied.

Well I guess I'm not the only one that has had this experience. I was use to playing a 25.5 scale Strat. When I bought my LP 68 Custom the 1st and 6th string kept slipping off the fretboard. What the heck is going on here. This never happened on the Strat. Eventually, it happened less frequently but it still happened. The following year I bought a 335, same thing with this guitar. I finally figured it out. It was the shorter scale. Using the same gauge strings as the Strat which were 10-46 there is less string tension on the Gibson's. I ended up using 10-48 which are 10's on top and 11's on the bottom. This eliminated the slipping with the 6th string. I tried a 18 wound for the 3rd string instead of the 17 plain for better string balance which I like much better, not that this had anything to do with string slipping, just a personal preference. As for the 1st string which was the 10 gauge, I adjusted my playing technique and I am very cautious of it so it rarely ever happens anymore. If I was to use a complete set of 11's I don't believe it would, or could happen. 10 Gauge is very slinky feeling on a Gibson. 11's on a Gibson, feel like 10's do on a Strat. Because of Gibson's shorter scale and less tension you can use a heavier string and get the Umph that a lighter string doesn't have. I tried 11's on a Strat and forget it. It's not even close to a Gibson's feel. The Strat is almost impossible to bend strings with the higher tension of the 25.5 scale. Try it and check it out for yourself.

Roadhog96, you nailed it. Just yesterday I asked a guitar tech about the string slippage and he said the same exact thing, almost word for word. He suggested that I try an 11 for the high e string and I should notice an improvement. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm finding the longer I play it the less I notice it. Makes total sense now..

Well, I've done my fair share of experimenting with strings and it only makes sense especially after it has been confirmed from testing the theory. By the way, when you get the extra cash and have a chance try some Pure Nickel strings. The ones that come to mind are the Pyrimid Classics Brand. these are made from Silver Plated German Steel. The core wire is a Round Core like the way strings were made in the 50's and 60's. Most modern day strings have the Hex core. Pyrimids use a very pure grade of Nickel to wrap the round core. Very sweet tone and easy to bend then Hex core. This guy has a great reputation and quick service for strings. He can get you custom sets also if you don't see them on the web page. http://www.tone-man.com/pyramid.htm

One other note, when using Pure Nickel strings the PUP poles will have to be adjusted up higher for those wound strings because the string output is not as high as Nickel Plated Steel strings. Just raising them a little to compensate for this will correct it by balancing their ouput to the plain strings. Let your ears be your guide.

I have an ES-359.. a similar thing happened to mine. Some of the frets where not finished properly on the High 'e' edge and so the string would fall off and catch in a little groove on some of the frets.

I took it back to the shop and they 'finished' the frets for me.. (filed them down flush with the binding). I wouldn't want to try it myself.. but the pros fixed it for free.

I have another friend who had the same problem on a Les Paul... What is happeneing at QC to let these guitars onto the market?

A wound 3rd string does take some getting use to. It's a little harder to do string bends with a wound string and they don't last as long as a plain but the overall tone is so sweet. I don't recall ever seeing an acoustic guitar without a wound 3rd, that must tell you something. Their tone is out of this world when used on an acoustic bodied guitar like the 335.

Archived