Gibson Brands Forums

Champ 600 mod

retrosurfer1959

I had recently bought a small Fender Champ 600 when GC was having a $99 sale I really liked the amp and the size but it just was lacking the punch that wanted me to play it instead of other amps I own so I either had to sell it or fix it so of course I modded the hell out of the poor little amp. I installed a Mercury Magnetic kit that consisted of a new power transformer a new output transformer a Mini Choke and a new Weber six inch speaker. The amp was good before but now it great unbelievable change in tone [biggrin]

Within a minute of turning it on I nuked the 6V6 so was kinda worried but replaced it and now it's cranking just fine and it's has killer sound of course it's also now a $400 dollar boutique amp which kind of defeated the whole purpose of buying it, but great tone and that's never cheap

I bought that amp for that price as well, got it home plugged my 335 into it and felt less then

satisfied even as a bedroom amp.

I recently bought a Nashville Tele and WOW that amp came alive, I can only imagine what that mod would do.

Good job

I had recently bought a small Fender Champ 600 when GC was having a $99 sale I really liked the amp and the size but it just was lacking the punch that wanted me to play it instead of other amps I own so I either had to sell it or fix it so of course I modded the hell out of the poor little amp. I installed a Mercury Magnetic kit that consisted of a new power transformer a new output transformer a Mini Choke and a new Weber six inch speaker. The amp was good before but now it great unbelievable change in tone [biggrin]

Within a minute of turning it on I nuked the 6V6 so was kinda worried but replaced it and now it's cranking just fine and it's has killer sound of course it's also now a $400 dollar boutique amp which kind of defeated the whole purpose of buying it' date=' but great tone and that's never cheap [/quote']

the speaker unplugs? or what?

I know some amps, the speaker is soldered in, and others, it is plugged in via a regular 1/4 inch jack.

Within a minute of turning it on I nuked the 6V6 so was kinda worried but replaced it and now it's cranking just fine and it's has killer sound of course it's also now a $400 dollar boutique amp which kind of defeated the whole purpose of buying it' date=' but great tone and that's never cheap [/quote']

A $400 - $99 amp?

Lucky!

I built the STF Electronics Champ Head kit, then what with the JBL D130 and the JD Newell cabinet, well, never mind.

But dang, it sure sounds good with the Tele and the '50s Strat.

Quack quack quack.

the speaker unplugs? or what?

I know some amps' date=' the speaker is soldered in, and others, it is plugged in via a regular 1/4 inch jack.[/quote']

the champ has two little posts and socket to unplug not that it matters after you gut the transformers and everything but the speaker is plug in. the hard part is the cabinet is so small it's hard to work on.

I played one of those little tiny tube combos at GC once.

I thought it sounded weak. Even with my own personal SG that I love I couldn't get a good tone out of it.

I bet they rock after you mod them. I'd love to try a modded one cause I thought it kindof sucked stock.

I really wanted to like it by the way. I wasn't going into it with a negative attitude.

What'd you do?

Remove the stock speaker' date=' and cut the frame down, retolex it and add a cab?[/quote']

I made the cab for the head and sold the stock cab [biggrin]

I added an extra switch but I am undecided what the use will be, 99% sure that it will control the mids. I just need to find the 2 resistor values I want to toggle.

The OT Transformer has 4/8/16 ohm taps, the stock has only 4 ohm.

I left this amp as a fairly clean/low volume amp, I like it that way.

Oh yea and I used a cream knob...

Archived