Gibson Brands Forums

please help me...FAST!!

sexybeast14

i was giving a kid a lesson, so i was writing and playing at the same time. somehow the pen leaked and got on the neck of my guitar. not huge just a few smudges. so anyway the quiestion is, what can i use to get it off with out permanently hurting the finish. ( its a nitro finish.) (and water wasnt working, so dont say that.)

You guys are good. Nitrocellulose is soluble in solvents found in nail polish remover (since nitrocellulose is the major component in nail polish). Those solvents include esters (acetates), acetone and ketones, and occasionally glycol ethers, and NC is somewhat soluble in alcohols. NC is not soluble in soaps, or detergents, or aromatic or aliphatic solvents like naphtha (used in lighter fluid), gasoline or mineral spirits. Be careful using solvents because they are extremely flammable, and commercial mixtures can contain small amounts of several kinds of solvent types.

Fortunately, resins found in pen ink are typically polyester and phenolic types that do tend to be more soluble in the aliphatic and aromatic solvents that NC does not tend to care for.

Since nitrocellulose does not form a good film, it does allow liquids to permeate thru it. That's why wood breathes better with a nitrocellulose finish. Because nitrocellulose is brittle, NC treated wood scratches and mars more easily and has less impact resistance than, say, urethane.

Archived