Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Blues King ??

suburude63

i've played many. i love 'em. that boxy spring to each note is to die for. they just stike you immediately as a great blues guitar (though i am, admittedly, the whitest guy alive and what i know about the blues couldn't fill a thimble). great projection, too. not a guitar you can really dig into but that's not what they're for. if you strum, it should be light because they're very responsive. a guy here in town has one and its everybody's favourite. quite simply, they're very fun to play.

I have the ultimate Gibson Blues Guitar-- an old roundhole L4. Very sweet when lightly fingerpicked, it picks up a bright, bluesy edge when you lean on it. Very Cool :-({|= Strung with light strings, it went from having an archtop sound (with mediums) to a killer blues guitar.

I believe that Eric Clapton described his old Roundhole L4 as the one guitar he regretted selling.

X-brace. Mahog b/s, 25.5 scale down to 06, then 24.5 bubinga. Nothing to get excited about. The hogs are bright and tight, nothing like an old L00 or copies like the Greven. The bubs are 'mellower" but heavy. They also did a deep body version (ala a Nick Lucas). The extra depth took away from the dry bite you for fingerpicking but still too bright for a strummer. I liked the one I had best for btottleneck and single line runs fwiw.

Also what about Epis remake of the L00 ? I think its called an Elite?

BTW

Thanks guys for your input! Jim

the epi el-00 is a great value. i've owned one. it has a great boxy, punchy blues tone. it is lam mahogany with a spruce top and they sell for around $300 new. they're all over ebay. i put a baggs element in mine.

Archived