Gibson Brands Forums

Fell in love with a Guild F 50

DAS44

That's a beauty. I like the Guild Jumbos. I had the maple which has a brighter sound. Mine had an arched back (the maple backs are laminate and steam-shaped to an arch). They can really project, produce a lot of volume and handle aggressive strumming. Deep bodies, big sound. The rosewood is beautiful and produces a nice low end, staying even through the mid and high end. Really nice build quality in Tacoma and a great sounding guitar. Lots of bling (yep, I love the bling). I traded it for a Guild F-412, which is the same guitar with 12 strings (also with arched back), which I still have. I also have a killer X-700 archtop with a solid spruce craved top. (Both are dressed the same as the F-50 with block and triangle markers, binding, headstock inlay, etc).

GuildF412sm.jpg

96GuildX-700sm.jpg

I have the F47CME' date=' which I love and use for open mics because of the great on-board electronics.....One thing to watch with used Guilds is the neck and whether it needs a reset.....seems to happen even to the young ones. Otherwise, they are built like tanks.....[/quote']

That's an awesome guitar! It kinda out-Gibsons Gibsons. Wish I had time/room/money for a Guild or eight. I love 'em. I always thought my first "nice" acoustic would be a Guild, but their lousy distribution and the appearance of certain Gibsons & Taylors kinda derailed that plan.

Someday...

Guilds have been "discovered" it seems...Especially since Fender took over the name, the PRE-Fender guitars are in hot demand. They are now making new Guilds out of New Haven Conn. and the quality and tradition seem to live up to the history. A high end Guild Dreadnaught is costing more than a similar equipped Martin......They DO have that sound....

Archived