Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Tuner replacement / upgrade

RASHARU

OK guys & gals. I need some advice.

I want to change my gold Grover Rotomatic tuners on my J-45 to an original vintage (new) Kluson/Gibson Keystone set. Are there any little surprises that I should know about before starting this project? Post sizes, bushings needed, clearance, anything? I appreciate any support that you can offer.

I like the look of Tonepro Kluson's on J-45's as they give more of a vintage look. They have Titanium gearing and they are ultra smooth and much less $$ than Waverlys. If you are removing Grovers, you may need some conversion bushings. Call Stewart McDonald (stewmac.com) for some advise on the Bushings.

docwatsonfan,

I'd like to hear more about your experience with the Tonepro Klusons. What tuners did they replace on the WM45 and were they a direct replacement (no additional holes required, no bushings required)? How does the gear ratio compare?

Thanks!

Guth

The Klusons on my 1961 J-50 got really balky and sloppy and the buttons were beginning to feel like they were going to fall apart. I went with the Waverlys and have never looked back. (I did keep the Klusons should I ever decide to sell it and someone is looking for a "time piece".)

I had Grovers in my 45 and I replaced them with the Tonepro Klusons. These Tonepros are not your run of the mill Kluson machines and they differ from the originals in a number of good ways. The Grover Bushings were bigger than what came with the Tonepros so a conversion Bushing was needed. If I remember correctly, it was a 3/8" Bushing. I got them from Stewart McDonald and they can advise you on the process. I'm not sure of the ratio's on the Tonepros but I would guess they are at least 16:1.

I did have to add the two holes if I remember correctly

but you can't see any old holes

I don't think I needed a bushing, it has been a while

the ratio feels nice, don't know the exact ratio,

I don't tune up or down alot, so for me they have the look, and work well enough for a hack lol

wm45finish.jpg

My Post from some time back Tonepros Klusons are very good

I know its difficult to choose out of all the options...but hereis another! My 93 J-45s had the tuners and problems as yours. I swapped them out for Klusons made by tone pros, whick look identical to the Gibson deluxe. They are grat tuners, Tight, no wobble, and acurate. Gibson Deluxe, like the ones you have are still easily avaiable, but expesive - after all, they do say 'Gibson' on them. The tonePros are less expensive, and in my experience, better,

have a look at their web site.http://www.toneproskluson.com/

TPK_Splash.jpg

after looking at my post and the pic of the headstock I remember now!

I bought the tuners that had the nut and washer that are on the "Gibson logo side"

you can buy the tuners that go through a bushing, with no nut and washer needed, or the kind where the nut centers the tuning post

I didn't want to mess with the bushing

I like the look of the bushing , it does not have the washer, but opted for the nut and washer for ease of installation

hope that helps !

I appreciate everyone's input. I know it seems strange to want to remove my gold engraved tuners but I kinda dig that more "vintage" look of the Klusons. I actually think that the J45 Vines should've been made with the Klusons in the first place. Oh well .... [-(

For true "vintage," you'd be hard-pressed to do any better than the Golden Age Restoration tuners available through StewMac. I stuck a set of the "cream" button ones on my '98 J-45 and not only do they work great (15:1 ratio and they are very smooth) but they also look great.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Golden_Age_Restoration_Tuners_for_Solid_Peghead.html

Archived