Gibson Brands Forums

gibson masterbuilt strings

woodruff

I'm not positive, but I think you can also get them at Guitar Center. I've used them on my J-45 and thought they were pretty similar to D'addarios. I use the D'addarios because I can just pick them up at the local guitar stores for under $6 and don't have to pay shipping.

While you're checking out the Gibson Masterbuilt strings, you might also want to check out the Gibson J200 strings. They are also a very good string. The only down side that I've found to these is that the ball ends have silk wrapings on them and depending on the bridge pin configuration, I've found them to be a little bit of a tight fit in some of my guitars. However, if they fit, the silk wrapings are beneficial.

I'm not positive' date=' but I think you can also get them at Guitar Center. I've used them on my J-45 and thought they were pretty similar to D'addarios. I use the D'addarios because I can just pick them up at the local guitar stores for under $6 and don't have to pay shipping. [/size']

how similar? like you cant really tell the difference? my wife and i are long time users of teh D'addario PB 12s(eJ16), though i have since converted to the 80/20 bronze version, jus like their tone better on the H-bird. but it would be fun to try. thanks!

I've tried just about everything on my Hummingbird, and as far as I'm concerned, Gibson strings work best. I'm using J-200 mediums, and can't hear any difference from Masterbuilts. I get them at Apple Music in Portland. The local GC didn't have them last time I checked, but it's been a while. I'd rather buy from Apple anyway.

Everyone,

I have been using the Martin Marquis SP 80/20 or PH-BNZ and been happy, but can some one tell mewhat makes the Gibson strings better?

Has anyone used the martin strings then found the Gibson strings better....why?

Just curious to see if there is a reason beyond the ..."just try them and see if you like them". I understand that is the true test, but if anyone has something to point out....so that when I do try them I can look to verify those specific points.

My 'bird sounds closest to the way I think it ought to sound with Gibson strings. It's like putting just the right amount of cayenne pepper in your clam chowder. It has a little extra bite, but you can't quite identify why.

I realize this is a non-answer in the terms of your question. I can't break it down to criteria like "clearer tone" or "better sustain." The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I've tried just about everything on my Hummingbird' date=' and as far as I'm concerned, Gibson strings work best. I'm using J-200 mediums, and can't hear any difference from Masterbuilts. I get them at Apple Music in Portland. The local GC didn't have them last time I checked, but it's been a while. I'd rather buy from Apple anyway.[/quote']

I also use both. I believe the only differnce between the Masterbilt and J200 strings is the silk wrap on the ball ends of the J200 strings.

I've tried just about everything on my Hummingbird' date=' and as far as I'm concerned, Gibson strings work best. I'm using J-200 mediums, and can't hear any difference from Masterbuilts. I get them at Apple Music in Portland. The local GC didn't have them last time I checked, but it's been a while. I'd rather buy from Apple anyway.[/quote']

I also use both. I believe the only differnce between the Masterbilt and J200 strings is the silk wrap on the ball ends of the J200 strings.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen ...... "Ain't no more potatoes, the frost have killed the vine ......

Well, the blues ain't nothin' but a good woman on your mind" MJH

Just curious -- did anyone tell Stephen that potatoes don't grow on a vine?

:-s

Archived