Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup question.

Dub-T-123

I just got the BB3 in the mail from Duane today and while I was installing it I ran into a problem.

The wire from the pickup is about 2 inches too short to reach where I need to solder it. It's physically impossible for it to reach.

So how can I fix this? Is it possible to solder a whole new wire into the pickup?

Is it possible to get a short piece of wire and solder it on to the end of the existing wire? If so what kind of wire should I use? Will this cause noise and degredation of tone?

Sorry if these are stupid questions I just don't know what to do.

Ok that's good news.

Is there a particular type of wire I should use? I really don't want to accidentally put some noisy tone-sucking crap on there.

Also should I just use regular old heat shrink to insulate the bare part? Will that be good enough insulation?

Yeah that's what I figured Duane. It's all on the pickguard so it's a short trip.

It would make it to the pot on mine if it was a straight shot. But with the routing it has to follow it can't make it.

I put it on and it looks pretty rock n' roll. The real test will be how it sounds once I wire it up. The soldering isn't as hard as I thought. It's just real easy to jack up the finish when you're working on it.

you can use any insulated wire fromr adio shack or something similar

cut off a a piece of wire long enough to allow the pickup lead to reach the pot, soldier the wires togethere and attach to the pot lead

soldier a piece of extension wire to the outside ground of the pickup wire, attach this to the pot to ground it

Archived