Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup swap?

Silenced Fred

When I buy my Sheraton, I will swap outthr pickups. I have played them and aren't that impressed with them. I have been thinking about putting a phat cat in the neck, and a Seymour Duncan sh2 jazz pup in the bridge. I am looking for a very versatile sound. Would this be a good idea?

Any recommendations are welcome

I'd wait until you actually have the guitar and own it for a little while before making a decision. All guitars' date=' even of the same model, differ a bit and what you don't like in one you might like in another.[/quote']

+1 to Rich's comments. Plus, due to the construction of the semi-hollow body, all the changes must be done through the f-holes...a job for experienced hands whenever possible.

I've been playing my Sherrie stock for 12 years now.

I hear you, Californiaman. However, I just think it's potentially a waste of money to buy the pups before the guitar; he might end up liking how the stock ones sound in that particular guitar. If not, he can always buy them later.

Yeah I would say try and play one thru as close a rig as you got at home ............I mean where are you getting

your ide of the sound from? cause any online demo's are suspect in how something actually sounds.

If you don't like the sound the guitar makes why on Earth are you buying it in the first place?

Looks?

Good grief...

No, I want a semi hollowbody, but I don't necessarily care for the pickups. I want a p90, or the jazz pickup in the neck and something else in the bridge, maybe a pearly gates. :-

I like the Sheratons, but the pickups are... meh.

They do the job, but I am looking a mellow tone in the neck, hence the jazz pickup, or maybe a p90 and something a little hotter, hence the pearly gates.

No' date=' I want a semi hollowbody, but I don't necessarily care for the pickups. I want a p90, or the jazz pickup in the neck and something else in the bridge, maybe a pearly gates. [biggrin

I like the Sheratons, but the pickups are... meh.

They do the job, but I am looking a mellow tone in the neck, hence the jazz pickup, or maybe a p90 and something a little hotter, hence the pearly gates.

Of course it's entirely up to you but if it were me (and my money - don't forget that I'm a Scot!) I'd wait until I'd had the instrument at least a short while before swapping p'ups.

There are plenty of ways to strive for a 'better' tone than you think you can get at first. Some very simple; for example spend a few hours on different settings on your amp; Different tone settings on the guitar; Different makes of string. All of that comes much cheaper than buying a new pair of p'ups!

Get used to what the guitar can do and then change things one bit at a time so as to understand fully what each alteration does for the tone.

If, after all that, you are still dissatisfied and feel that a p'up swap is the only answer then at least you be certain that your money isn't being wasted.

Good luck and remember; Post some snaps!

Of course it's entirely up to you but if it were me (and my money - don't forget that I'm a Scot!) I'd wait until I'd had the instrument at least a short while before swapping p'ups.

There are plenty of ways to strive for a 'better' tone than you think you can get at first. Some very simple; for example spend a few hours on different settings on your amp; Different tone settings on the guitar; Different makes of string. All of that comes much cheaper than buying a new pair of p'ups!

Get used to what the guitar can do and then change things one bit at a time so as to understand fully what each alteration does for the tone.

If' date=' after all that, you are still dissatisfied and feel that a p'up swap is the only answer then at least you be certain that your money isn't being wasted.

Good luck and remember; Post some snaps!

[/quote']

+1 to Pippy! He offers some solid advice.

Getting some Duncans over the stock Epi pickups is definately an upgrade, but don't decide if you don't play & listen to your instrument first. Besides, only after having done so, will you be able to tell exaclty what is the sound that you want to get out of it, which in turn will lead you to decide the proper pickups to achieve this. From the pickup variety that you mention already, I would say that you are not to certain at the moment...

Take your time.

Getting some Duncans over the stock Epi pickups is definately an upgrade' date=' but don't decide if you don't play & listen to your instrument first. Besides, only after having done so, will you be able to tell exaclty what is the sound that you want to get out of it, which in turn will lead you to decide the proper pickups to achieve this. From the pickup variety that you mention already, I would say that you are not to certain at the moment...

Take your time. [/quote']

+1.

Ha Ha!

(The Mutual Appreciation Society continues...)

A true story by way of illustrating what Hector Arcadius and I are banging on about;

A week or so ago I bought a s/h LP. The guitar sounded really great unplugged but, when I compared it to my other LP's when I got home (through my amp which was set as per normal for whatever I was trying to play) I was less than impressed. Even allowing for the fact that one tone control of the instrument was wired in wrong it still wasn't that great. I changed the (brand new) strings to a preferred brand, fiddled with pickup heights and mucked about with the settings and can now get a sound that is very close to my #1 LP.

It's still not quite as good, however. That may be down to the fact that it has had its p'ups swapped out.

For a set of Seymour Duncans, as it happens...[cool]

PairofSDs.jpg

Archived