Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Tool Kit

Buc McMaster

No, it's not a bag of hardware.......it's the iPhone app Guitar Tool Kit. It's a terrific application for about the price of two sets of strings that brings the goods in a gadget you have in your pocket most of the time. Metronome, very accurate digital tuner, scales, chords (thousands of them!), alternate tunings....it's all there and very, very useful. The chord library is amazing and you can strum it on-screen to hear what sounds like - a great feature when hunting for that special chord that works with that new melody you're working on. There are tunings galore for most stringed instruments you can name, with alternate tunings for many. Very cool stuff! If you have an iPhone I highly recommend this application!! And as an added, unexpected bonus, you can set the thing so it displays chords and scales for lefthanded playing!.

(This post inspired by the Jazz Chord post, searching for that special chord.)

Bud.....why would ANYONE want left handed chords.....lol......thanks for the heads up

No' date=' it's not a bag of hardware.......it's the iPhone app [i']Guitar Tool Kit[/i]. It's a terrific application for about the price of two sets of strings that brings the goods in a gadget you have in your pocket most of the time. Metronome, very accurate digital tuner, scales, chords (thousands of them!), alternate tunings....it's all there and very, very useful. The chord library is amazing and you can strum it on-screen to hear what sounds like - a great feature when hunting for that special chord that works with that new melody you're working on. There are tunings galore for most stringed instruments you can name, with alternate tunings for many. Very cool stuff! If you have an iPhone I highly recommend this application!! And as an added, unexpected bonus, you can set the thing so it displays chords and scales for lefthanded playing!.

(This post inspired by the Jazz Chord post, searching for that special chord.)

Ahh, Guit Kit...my favourite app!!

The best £5.99 I ever spent. I use it EVERY DAY, and it's the most accurate tuner I own, even more so than my £200 Peterson Strobostomp. The metronome is fantastic for writing and recording, and the whole thing is just brilliant.

I'd heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone.

FYI - the last release of GuitarToolkit added the ability to create/save any tuning you want. The fretboard and chord libraries update themselves accordingly.

And thank you for the kind words - you guys rock!

That is one of the greatest features of this app. I've been working on tabbing "Never Comes The Day" by the Moody Blues. It is in a tuning that is a variation on open G with the bass string in E instead of D. So I just plugged in that tuning and saved it. Then it is as simple as touching each of the fingerings for the Toolkit to tell me what the name is of that chord or, conversely, putting in a chord like Bm and the Toolkit shows me the many voicings of Bm in that tuning. Indispensable!

Does anyone know if you can get it for an ipod touch? A son and my daughter have one each which they rarely use.

vourot is dead on - but make sure to check what Generation the iPod touch is. Apple didn't add support for plugging in a headset/mic jack until the iPod touch 2G. No way to get audio input into the iPod 1st Gen.

Archived