Gibson Brands Forums

What's the bestest, safest, legalest download site?

Cruznolfart

For an ol' fart what ain't done any music downloads...EVER! I heard a few things on Bluesville that I want and thought I'd go ahead and do it on the 'net, since we're so far out in the woods. Driving 50 miles for two songs isn't my idea of good planning.

So what's the best site, in your opinion, for safe, legal downloads. I don't know Napster from Nipsy Russell about this stuff. Good selection, reasonable price per download and no monthly membership fee would be perfect.

Anybody?

Thanks!

For an ol' fart what ain't done any music downloads...EVER! I heard a few things on Bluesville that I want and thought I'd go ahead and do it on the 'net' date=' since we're so far out in the woods. Driving 50 miles for two songs isn't my idea of good planning.

So what's the best site, in your opinion, for safe, legal downloads. I don't know Napster from Nipsy Russell about this stuff. Good selection, reasonable price per download and no monthly membership fee would be perfect.

Anybody?

Thanks![/quote']

Well, there is....oh wait...you said legal...

Nevermind.

itunes has the best selection bar none.

Limewire definitely ain't legal! Don't use it if you value your computer, you'll get viruses.

For free live music, this place simply can not be beaten;

http://www.archive.org/index.php

Use the search box at the top of the screen.

Myspace is good for free streaming music also, but it's a pain in the *** to download.

He is looking for single songs mcmurray and does not live on the 'burbs.

I have been using Amazon to dowload single songs that I would never buy in CD. Loose songs here and there.

I buy CDs from Amazon and as a bonus I get free downloads of my choice here and there, can't beat free and legal.

btw Cruznolfart' date=' a good old CD has sound quality that is leaps and bounds better than anything you pay to download on the net. Maybe you shouldn't start downloading now for that reason?[/quote']

Thanks, McM, for the heads up. I'll go ahead and get it in cd format at a later time. I just wanted a couple new tunes I heard that I wanna cover with my guys next time we jam.

Get a chance, to listen to the Brit, Ian Seigal and his tune "Hard Pressed". Great Blues number from a very talented trio. Really fun bass line.

I recall a friend turning me on to limewire some time back. It's a file-sharing site' date=' no? Have you experienced any problems due to downloads or someone getting into your files?[/quote']

Yep it's a file-sharing site. Illegal and chock full of malware and viruses. Don't do it hey.

I've actually never downloaded a tune yet. Yeah I'm old fashion. Now if you'll excuse me I have to crank up my phonograph...

I'll only do it if it simply can't be bought anywhere else. As a rule I won't pay for AM radio quality tracks (mp3's in general). I just wish the rest of the world would get a clue. It's about time Apple or Amazon offered true CD quality audio.

I'll only do it if it simply can't be bought anywhere else. As a rule I won't pay for AM radio quality tracks (mp3's in general). I just wish the rest of the world would get a clue. It's about time Apple or Amazon offered true CD quality audio.

This is exactly the reason why I'll only ever purchase CDs these days. I won't do digital downloads anymore until mainstream internet retailers begin to offer files of comparable quality.

Also, I like getting larger volumes of music, along with liner notes and a hard product in my hands (call it "the concept of ownership,") so I tend to prefer buying complete CDs anyway. If I buy a CD for one song, nine times out of ten I'll enjoy at least one or two of the other songs on the album, especially if it's from an artist I've had good experiences with.

Cruzn, I recommend that you order CDs from Amazon, unless you're really set on only getting a few songs and have no interest in the others, or if you don't have the time to wait. If you don't have the time to wait, I think iTunes is probably the nicest service I'm familiar with--except for that darn proprietary file type.

This is exactly the reason why I'll only ever purchase CDs these days. I won't do digital downloads anymore until mainstream internet retailers begin to offer files of comparable quality.

The worrying thing is that the general population thinks MP3 is superior than CD audio because it's newer!

Lossy compression marked the first time in history that technology was used to degrade sound quality. Up until that point' date=' every single tech advancement in the industry aimed to improve sound quality. It's absolutely redicu-lous. MP3 had it's place in 1998 when we were all on dial-up, now there's no excuse what so ever.

Kids these days are so used to lossy compression that they actually [i']prefer[/i] the sound of it over a lossless version! What in the hell is this world coming to?

/rant

A 128 kbs mp3 sounds like shizzle, but I doubt that most people can hear the difference between CD quality and a 192 kbs mp3. It's all cold sounding digital anyway. If you are worried about sound quality, you should have stayed with vinyl. Hop on the bandwagon. Get an iTunes account and download your *** off.

btw Cruznolfart' date=' a good old CD has sound quality that is leaps and bounds better than anything you pay to download on the net. Maybe you shouldn't start downloading now for that reason?[/quote']

While I agree that you're right about CD vs MP3 quality (and vinyl is still better than either IMO) practically speaking, once you get past 55 (which I am) you can't hear the difference anymore anyhow. So I put everything on my iPod and am happy. (But I still use Bose earbuds just in case...) The few things I do download usually come from iTunes.

A 128 kbs mp3 sounds like shizzle' date=' but I doubt that most people can hear the difference between CD quality and a 192 kbs mp3. It's all cold sounding digital anyway. If you are worried about sound quality, you should have stayed with vinyl. Hop on the bandwagon. Get an iTunes account and download your *** off.

[/quote']

PCM digital > Vinyl if it's done right (i.e. mastered properly, not loud). See if you can audition a decent CD player some time, you'll change your mind.

Plus now that everything is recorded in the digital domain, vinyl will always sound worse.

Also, as an electronics engineer, I can tell you that vinyl measures worse than CD no matter which way you look at it.

I'll jump on the bandwagon if and when they offer lossless.

PCM digital > Vinyl if it's done right. See if you can audition a decent CD player some time' date=' you'll change your mind.

Plus now that everything is recorded in the digital domain, vinyl will always sound worse.

Also, as an electronics engineer, I can tell you that vinyl measures worse than CD no matter which way you look at it. [/quote']

It might measure worse, but still sounds better. We all have our opinions. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also' date=' as an electronics engineer, I can tell you that vinyl measures worse than CD no matter which way you look at it.

I'll jump on the bandwagon if and when they offer lossless.[/quote']

Yep, but you also know that SS amps measure "better" than tube amps but what would you rather play through??

Yep' date=' but you also know that SS amps measure "better" than tube amps but what would you rather play through??

[/quote']

Guitar amps are a different story entirely, they're tone generators and coloring in the signal is desirable - the amp is a musical instrument in itself. A raw electric guitar signal sounds like crap. Pro Audio/HiFi on the other hand should be ideally transparent, and PCM is more transparent than vinyl.

Guitar amps are a different story entirely' date=' they're tone generators and coloring in the signal is desirable - the amp is a musical instrument in itself. A raw electric guitar signal sounds like crap. Pro Audio/HiFi on the other hand should be ideally transparent, and PCM is more transparent than vinyl.[/quote']

Watsa PCM?

Archived