Gibson Brands Forums

LP Custom Binding

mwink822

I've had my Les Paul Custom since about November, and a lot of time is spent sitting down while playing this guitar, particularly while just messing around at home. I noticed tonight while the putting the guitar back in the case that the binding on the treble side of the guitar has started to turn blue, presumably from my jeans, has anyone else encountered this, and what, if anything, can be done to 'reverse' the effect?

I've had my Les Paul Custom since about November' date=' and a lot of time is spent sitting down while playing this guitar, particularly while just messing around at home. I noticed tonight while the putting the guitar back in the case that the binding on the treble side of the guitar has started to turn blue, presumably from my jeans, has anyone else encountered this, and what, if anything, can be done to 'reverse' the effect?[/quote']

Better jeans.

Im serious.

Cheap jeans do this.

Better jeans.

Im serious.

Cheap jeans do this.

I highly doubt it's a matter of the jeans being cheap, I think it's more to do with the particular dye process used. I don't think you could classify Boss Orange label jeans as "cheap".

As for the suggestion for using Gibson pump polish, that's been a no-dice effort. I've tried using the pump polish, and even tried some P21S paint cleaning lotion to no avail. This stuff is pretty good to have on hand to get residue off of guitars and it's finish safe. I guess I'll just have to put up with blue binding on the underside of my guitar. Damn it.

EDIT: I don't think blue balls are to blame either.

Like cars, white guitars and black guitars are the hardest to keep pristine. As you say, the dye from your jeans is getting into the nitro, most likely the clear coat. Nitro dries but never cures, which is why this happens. This is also why finally gibson moved to cases with white interiors: no dyes to leech into the nitro.

either that, or your LP is jealous of my SG supreme, and is trying to make a change. It'll fail though [lol]

Like cars' date=' white guitars and black guitars are the hardest to keep pristine. As you say, the dye from your jeans is getting into the nitro, most likely the clear coat. Nitro dries but never cures, which is why this happens. This is also why finally gibson moved to cases with white interiors: no dyes to leech into the nitro.

either that, or your LP is jealous of my SG supreme, and is trying to make a change. It'll fail though :-& [/quote']

That SG Supreme is supa sexy [biggrin]

I'll agree with the assessment about white and black guitars and cars being difficult to keep clean though. I have both white and black guitars and drive a black car...keeping all looking purdy is laborious to say the least.

Archived