Gibson Brands Forums

Volume Control

daveinspain

Need help guys... I'm really strugglin' with this one. The volume on my amp is so touchy it's hard to control (Egnator Rebel 20). Seems from like 1 and a half to 2 there is a huge volume jump. So I get a good sound and volume from the amp and try to use my Boss ME 70 for sound variation and FX. The Boss ME 70 has all the cheese, reverb, delay, chorus, distortion, compressor with sustain and a volume pedal. One of the tunes we play is a rocky tune which calls for an overdrive power chord sound, a solid full sound for the band to play on, no problem got it. Then comes time for the solo, it's totally lost...[blink] If I wasn't already using the distortion pedal for the chord sound I could just click it on and get a boost but it already on so that wont help. I know what your thinking... Use the volume pedal. Problem is the volume pedal is so touchy you barely touch it and the volume jumps up like crazy too. Even the volume pots on the guitar do the same thing. The volume curve is very steep, 1 and 2 are low and then 3 to 4 leaps up. Why is it so hard to get a linear volume sweep?

What do you guys do to keep your solos from getting lost? Volume pedaL? The pots on the guitar? Stomp box?

Do you have 12AX7 tubes in your preamp?

Have you tried any lower gain tubes for your preamp section?

With a bit lower preamp gain you get "wider" control for volume....you have to crank up the amp a bit more, but the volume curve is more linear at the beginning. I changed Svetlana 12AX7 from my Twin Amp first stage to Mullard 12AT7WA/M8162 and got more linear volume control.

Yeah, Dave. That is a big challenge when playing live. Another less technical idea might be to ask the rest of the band not to play their parts so loud when it's time for a guitar solo. Same with vocals. Not all musicains get that idea though.

Another idea, is to go ahead and crank the amps volume way up and then roll your guitar volume off or use the volume pedal. They might have more control that way.

A lot of amps seem to operate like that. I played my friends Fender Deville and it quickly goes from very low to extremely loud. The best feature of my B52 (when it's not broken!) is the volume control. At 100w it can surely blow you away, but it doesn't reach full volume until you really get the Master Volume up around 8-10.

I think a lot of people use something like the Hot plate to get the volume

down. Power soaks work good for this they just don't work good to get you

down to bedroom volumes. For practice this might be your cup of tea.

CW

Thanks Saturn I'll give that a go... The pre amp tube tube thing sounds interesting too but a pain in the arse....

Anyone else?

I use my Compression Pedal to get my lead boost. If that's not enough, I sometimes (rarely) use my Boost button on my Morley Power Wah Boost, but I keep the knob set very low because the boost gets too muddy at higher levels.

Archived