Gibson Brands Forums

Metallica and Napster

swleary

and then try and sue the 13 and 14 year olds who were only using the tools that were available to them?

Metallica sucks.

I couldn't agree more. I have no problem with them going after Napster and other file sharing sites, but to go after kids and their parents was a terrible move. I don't listen to them anymore because of it.

Yes it was years ago.

The frustrating thing about all of this is that you'll never get people who download stuff to agree with the fact that they actually drive prices up because companies have to employ other anti pirate policies, it's worse in video games, the cycle is as such;

Someone puts out hack for game > People decide 59.99 is too much for a cast of hundreds (Designers, producers, musicians, animators etc) to be paid so they download it instead of boycotting something they don't agree with > to secure profits companies have to charge more on the copies they do sell in store to fans/legitimate customers >legitimate customers get angry at pirates for stealing game driving up cost > repeat back to someone puts out hack for game deciding they don't want to pay 59.99....

Look, I don't care if you burn music or games or whatnot, it is stealing please don't try to justify it to me, I simply don't care why you do it. I pay for things I want to support, whether it's a musician or a game that I like, and people out there who decide to take it for whatever social or economic reason irk me.

I remember being in a Gamestop a few months ago, purchasing a game behind some jerk who was bragging that his welfare check came in and now he could afford to buy games, and that irks me LESS that my taxes pay for his hobby that I work to pay for, than people who just outright download the game.

Why download illegal music with sh!tty quality to begin with?

If it had good quality I would have been tempted...

I remember downloading an AC/DC song, when Ilooked at the kbps it was 48 or something like that, some others 96, no thanks, it sounded like a distant AM Radio Station.

edit: if you are going to do something illegal, do it right! don't get caught, don't be stupid!

Why download illegal music with sh!tty quality to begin with?

If it had good quality I would have been tempted...

I remember downloading an AC/DC song' date=' when Ilooked at the kbps it was 48 or something like that, some others 96, no thanks, it sounded like a distant AM Radio Station.

edit: if you are going to do something illegal, do it right! don't get caught, don't be stupid![/quote']

I agree and that and the legal aspects are why I've never downloaded a song. But what I was saying in my earlier post is that children and UNKOWNING parents being sued is wrong. The kids (12-15 y/o's) that were doing it aren't mature enough to understand what they are doing.

Agreed, we were all 12 once, I'm not innocent of downloading music but that was a long time ago, my two for box filled to the brim with cds is proof of that. I just try to approach it like this: If I had a skill I trained at to sell to people only to have people tell me that it isn't worth what I ask so they're just going to take it, I'd be very upset also.

I agree and that and the legal aspects are why I've never downloaded a song. But what I was saying in my earlier post is that children and UNKOWNING parents being sued is wrong. The kids (12-15 y/o's) that were doing it aren't mature enough to understand what they are doing.

Well I think we all learned a valuable lesson here...

Archived