Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Chilton has passed away at 59 :-(

Jinder

I'm absolutely, completely gutted to have to post this news. Alex has long been a gigantic influence on my songwriting and approach to making records.

He died in a Memphis hospital after being admitted last night with heart problems, or at least that's what's being reported.

Shocking, Jinder. Again, the good die young. For anyone not up to speed on Alex, he sang The Letter w/the Boxtops and had an indy hit with Big Star, before going solo. For a good read, on Alex and Memphis music, check out It Came from Memphis by Robt Gordon.

Very sad. Alex Chilton was a major influence in a lot of music, although he was often unheralded...he actually was mentioned quite often (and always as a highly influential musician) in numerous books about rock music. I had the honor of seeing him perform circa 1990 in a local high school gym when village firefighters, being great fans that they were, managed to scrape together enough money to bring Alex Chilton & the Box Tops to town for the entire village to enjoy. That high school gym was packed to the max that night with local residents, myself included, and Chilton's performance was great!

Very sad.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Jinder,

Sad news. I had heard earlier in the day, seems like the day before, he was having some, "probable" heart trouble, and then the sad news overnight. Only 59 years old. No matter, really. Tragic, whenever someone passes.

Archived