Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Gibson LG 1 Ice Tea Sunburst

suburude63

Incredible 1965 Gibson LG 1 with a rare Ice Tea Sunburst ! No cracks ! None !

Some scratches and a couple dings, finish checking but in incredible shape for a 45 year old guitar. Looks like to me it has an Adi top ? Comes w/ HSC. $1195 shipped.

Trades > ?

1965GibsonLG-1_3.jpg

LG-1Sideview.jpg

1965_Gibson_LG-1_2-1.jpg

I have the identical guitar in my collection. Technically, the finish is Gibson's cherry sunburst or as it is now called, vintage cherry sunburst. Mine is a 1965 model and this one looks to likely be closely from the same era, give or take a year or two. A great looking guitar and great feelin' guitar for sure. However, in my opinion due to the guitar's ladder bracing, the sound spectrum of the LG1, is not as full as the higher modeled and the X braced LG2 or LG3 and likewise doesn't seem to have the same raunchy bite as the lower model, all mahogany/no finish, but also ladder braced LG0. But, the LG1 is a good guitar for sure, especially for quiet playing (and forget about any booming bass on the guitar), although the quietness becomes a non-factor with putting a soundhole pick-up on the guitar.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I have the identical guitar in my collection. Technically' date=' the finish is Gibson's cherry sunburst or as it is now called, vintage cherry sunburst. Mine is a 1965 model and this one looks to likely be closely from the same era, give or take a year or two. A great looking guitar and great feelin' guitar for sure. However, in my opinion due to the guitar's ladder bracing, the sound spectrum of the LG1, is not as full as the higher modeled and the X braced LG2 or LG3 and likewise doesn't seem to have the same raunchy bite as the lower model, all mahogany/no finish, but also ladder braced LG0. But, the LG1 is a good guitar for sure, especially for quiet playing (and forget about any booming bass on the guitar), although the quietness becomes a non-factor with putting a soundhole pick-up on the guitar.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff[/quote']

Jeez thanks QM aka Jazzman Jeff #-o for the amazing positive reinforcement for the sale of my poor LG 1 :-

Nice job ! Ill be sure to give you my support later on something your selling ! Thanks again ! :(

Jeez thanks QM aka Jazzman Jeff #-o for the amazing positive reinforcement for the sale of my poor LG 1 :)

Nice job ! Ill be sure to give you my support later on something your selling ! Thanks again ! [cool]

I actually can't tell if you're serious or not serious or how you meant your comment. I was just stating my experience with my LGI model...which has been in my collection for a number of years. If you're serious and you feel I helped with your selling...that's fine. If you're comment is tongue and cheek and you meant my comments might have hurt the sale of your guitar, my apology is in order. The LG1 is a good guitar for sure, but it does have some drawbacks to it that our friends on this forum should consider. I wish when I scraped money together years and years ago to buy mine that I would have known upfront some of those tonal drawbacks. I probably would have still bought the guitar...it is so darn good lookin' and good feeling to play, but it does have the drawbacks I mentioned. I just offered that so any potential buyer (our friends on this forum) would know upfront.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I recently acquired a 57 LG-1 and I love it. I don't think it has any drawbacks. I think it's like any guitar, you either like the tone or you don't. Mine is just a blues machine that rings like a bell. I can't think of another guitar that can produce that dry bluesy Gibson tone. Sub, it's a great guitar. Good luck with your sale.

I recently acquired a 57 LG-1 and I love it. I don't think it has any drawbacks. I think it's like any guitar' date=' you either like the tone or you don't. Mine is just a blues machine that rings like a bell. I can't think of another guitar that can produce that dry bluesy Gibson tone. Sub, it's a great guitar. Good luck with your sale.[/quote']

Thanks Man ! [biggrin]

I actually can't tell if you're serious or not serious or how you meant your comment. I was just stating my experience with my LGI model...which has been in my collection for a number of years. If you're serious and you feel I helped with your selling...that's fine. If you're comment is tongue and cheek and you meant my comments might have hurt the sale of your guitar' date=' my apology is in order. The LG1 is a good guitar for sure, but it does have some drawbacks to it that our friends on this forum should consider. I wish when I scraped money together years and years ago to buy mine that I would have known upfront some of those tonal drawbacks. I probably would have still bought the guitar...it is so darn good lookin' and good feeling to play, but it does have the drawbacks I mentioned. I just offered that so any potential buyer (our friends on this forum) would know upfront.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff[/quote']

Toung in the cheek was the correct answer ! [biggrin]

" I don't think it has any drawbacks. I think it's like any guitar, you either like the tone or you don't. Mine is just a blues machine "

I agree !:-

You shouldn't have any trouble selling it. They're quite popular guitars and in demand. Good luck with its sale (if you're sure you want to part with it?) Personally, I don't think I could part with mine as I like having it in my rotation of guitars that I play as well as having it in my collection.

For me, the LG1 has the perfect tone for fingerstyle blues. It runs circles around any of my other guitars when I am in a "Nobody Loves You When Your Down and Out" kind of mood. There is something magical about the dryness in the voice coming out the soundhole. My wife will not let me play any Beatles song when she sits in my music room unless I pull out my 64 LG1. Tuned to DADGAD it becomes even more special.

Guys, there are not many affordable old Gibsons out there anymore. I feel very lucky to have picked up my LG1 last year and I can't see it ever leaving my small collection. Someone should scoop this beauty up and give it a good home. Just be forewarned, your other Guitars may get a bit envious of the time you spend with your LG1......

Good luck suburude!

For me' date=' the LG1 has the perfect tone for fingerstyle blues. It runs circles around any of my other guitars when I am in a "Nobody Loves You When Your Down and Out" kind of mood. There is something magical about the dryness in the voice coming out the soundhole. My wife will not let me play any Beatles song when she sits in my music room unless I pull out my 64 LG1. Tuned to DADGAD it becomes even more special.

Guys, there are not many affordable old Gibsons out there anymore. I feel very lucky to have picked up my LG1 last year and I can't see it ever leaving my small collection. Someone should scoop this beauty up and give it a good home. Just be forewarned, your other Guitars may get a bit envious of the time you spend with your LG1......

Good luck suburude! [/quote']

I totally agreed. Someone needs to jump on Suburude's LG. The condition is amazing and love that burst. My new LG is already teaching me new stuff.

Suburude' date=' I hope you keep your girlfriends longer than you keep your guitars......lol

[/quote']

Willey budddy I live in Spokane Wa. Not a lot of guitars to choose from on the local market. So I buy them to try them to see what there about. Tone , projection ect. I have now found 3 that are keepers ! Kevin Kopps K 35 , John Grevens L 00v and a Martin D 18 Authentic . [blink]

Willey budddy I live in Spokane Wa. Not a lot of guitars to choose from on the local market. So I buy them to try them to see what there about. Tone ' date=' projection ect. I have now found 3 that are keepers ! Kevin Kopps K 35 , John Grevens L 00v and a Martin D 18 Authentic . [cool']

Back to Wileys question though....... How are the girls on the local market? [biggrin]

Archived