Gibson Brands Forums

Amp upgrade - major overhaul

retrosurfer1959

As many of the old timers know I had a Trainwreck amp nothing overly special but a Trainwreck is special anyway it was not getting much if any play the value got to the point I;t take it anywhere and not doing any studio-work my other amps couldn't handle Ive never felt the amp was a versatile or gave me the tone I wanted as much as my Carr, my dAAb or even my 1974 Marshall 18 watt so I have been thinking about selling it for the last few years well the stars aligned the guy was serious cash in hand and the wife really wanted a Mercedes sport utility so it's done heres the big upgrade on the TW it's now a black Mercedes 350 ML crossover sport utility. at leaset the color stayed the same Black/Black. Here it is posing with the T-Bird, not a bad way to carry guitars and amps around town.[biggrin]

IMG_0354.jpg

Nice, man. Sometimes just because it's "special" doesn't make it work for you.

When I was going into the studio in '98 Darrel Johnson brought me a custom Opus snare for our project, and he also brought a Holland amp that Mike Holland was trying to sell me (Holland was renting some space from Opus at the time). It was 40 watts, 2;10" Fanes, hand built. Good price.

I dinked with it for 2 days and didn't like it at all. It turned to mush too fast for my taste.

Hey if you are not getting use out of something and can be sold for a good price why not.

Didn't you do the same with an original 1960 Burst Les Paul?

Yep I did and that one still (selling my 60) makes me wonder if I will ever really not regret selling that guitar. But oh well live and learn. The TrainWreck I won't miss I just have too many other amps I like better and the cost was getting hard to understand so the car and a happy wife is a better deal all around.

I guess springing for the AMG G-Wagen wasn't in the cards' date=' eh?

[cool

Very nice, very nice indeed.

Nope not for the wife urban assault vehicle it will never leave pavment never need to engage the front differental' what it will do is look damn good when the valet and speed bumps at AJ better watch out.

Archived