Gibson Brands Forums

Baggs active undersaddle vs Fishman Aura undersaddle

KL

I have been looking for a J-185 (sunburst) 6 and 12 string. Some of them come factory fitted with a L R Baggs active undersaddle pick up and some with a Fishman Aura. I use L R Baggs M1 active's on a couple of guitars and they are great. I have a factory fitted Fishman in my J-45, but I have not used either of the active undersaddle systems that they have been fitting to the J-185's so I would appreciate any experiences you have had with these transducers.

Both of the pickups you have mentioned sound good, in my opinion, for an undersaddle pickup. I have found that for me, the LR Baggs seems to have a little more bass than a fishman undersaddle. The aura system that you mentioned combines a fishman matrix undersaddle pickup and the ability to add acoustic "images" designed to sound like the guitar mic'ed. I used the aura systems for a while and really liked them, but now I have settled on using just a standard undersaddle. They can both sound very good. Try them both if you can and see what floats your boat.

I have the AURA in my J45 sounds great and it gives a lot of flexibility if using the Guitar for recording the blend function of the Aura is IMO fantastic. It is Also a great under saddle pick up. its a 2fer.

I also have the AURA 16 'box' and use it with my SJ200 which has the Fishman infinity under saddle great also.

I'm a big fan of the Baggs. They make an incredible pickup especially for the cost. The sound is very natural especially for an under the saddle pickup. It's simple, low maintenance, the battery lasts for over 200 hours of plugged in time. It's just sweet

Archived