Gibson Brands Forums

Is the used market too risky?

LPDEN

I am reading more and more stories of fake guitars on the market. Someone mentioned a link to a story that I went to read but the article was too dated. Is it really that bad out there? I thought it was for only the real high dollar stuff you needed to be careful with, but apparently it's guitars that we all buy that can be fakes. I'm not sure I want to buy used anymore unless the seller has a matching receipt from the shop it came from.

Hi,

There is alot of good people on this forum who are more than happy to help if you have any issues with a guitar you have seen. Dont steer clear of the second hand market as there are some great deals to be had. Yes there are alot of fakes out there and some of them are good but don't let that put you off....

Here's a fake I spotted today:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZAKK-WYLDE-GIBSON-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ320242780906QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards

I don't think so at all

I buy and sell on the used market all the time even from EvilBay I just make sure I know what I'm looking at research the seller and if it's a expensive Item I require contact by e-mail and even phone if it's something $$$ or I question. Never been burned and rarely been dissapointed even, there's some nice people out in the world and forums are great also you kinda know the people we've been around a while, somebody is always selling something for the next holy grail etc.

Just put the same effort you would into a unknown buy of anything. I have gotten some good buys lately since all the newbie's aren't bidding on everything and prices are down actually a good time to buy if your careful.

edit - for spelling jeez this forum stuff is killing my typing skills I don't correct anything anymore

I try to only buy from reputable dealers. I know I pay more' date=' but I also know what I am paying for.

[/quote']

"I pay more, but at least I know I'm ****ing awesome for doing so!"

I don't think so, generally. I've only bought a few of my guitars new, and funny enough, they were my least favorite.

I've gotten some incredibly sick deals on some ridiculous guitars.

Craigslist is godly. Alot of sellers will be idiots, sure, but when you find someone selling a dope guitar, and they don't even know what they have = win. Gibson V for $200 for the win.

"I pay more' date=' but at least I know I'm XXXXX awesome for doing so!"

I don't think so, generally. I've only bought a few of my guitars new, and funny enough, they were my least favorite.

[/quote']

Hmmm... Not sure where buying new came into this. The folks I know who deal in guitars sell new and used. I think my Gibson Les Paul Standard and my Ibanez were brand new... everything else was used. Perhaps where ever you are from it's different.

And for the record, one does not pay more to "know I'm awesome". One purchases from a reputable dealer because they built that reputation and want to keep it, so one has more recourses to address disatisfaction. I can see where the distinction might elude you.

Hmmm... Not sure where buying new came into this. The folks I know who deal in guitars sell new and used. I think my Gibson Les Paul Standard and my Ibanez were brand new... everything else was used. Perhaps where ever you are from it's different.

And for the record' date=' one does not pay more to "know I'm awesome". One purchases from a reputable dealer because they built that reputation and want to keep it, so one has more recourses to address disatisfaction. I can see where the distinction might elude you.[/quote']

No time for love, Dr. Jones.

No time for love' date=' Dr. Jones.[/quote']

"Coital Remains", first I'll start with welcome to the forum, but I think I speak for some others when I say we've had enough rumbles here to last a while, and don't need the mods going after any more threads becuase you want to begin your stay here with a few flames to ChanMan as a way to state your position on the topic. A little courtesy and respect for others' views goes a long way... Thanks.

Great place for used gear is guitarsandeffects.com Good selection and good pricing. Gbase is another resource you can use to link to dealers pages that has the gear you want. Ebay is a good used market but you have to know what your looking for and what its suppose to look like. Gibson has been doing a good job of getting the fakes off ebay though. They spend a lot of time and money and effort to uphold their brand name.

Great place for used gear is guitarsandeffects.com Good selection and good pricing.

YES!!!

Bought my Peavey from them (Nat Bradley) in 2003, found his site on Ebay. Actually, it was my first Ebay purchase.

First rate.

Prices appear to be getting softer on used gear.

I'm looking for deals.

One thing I have found at my local dealer is the influx of vintage amps. I've seen so many great amps that I grabbed a few. But others becuase of what they are and the price they demand are just downright outrageously expensive. But I understand why, they sound awesome and are indeed the real deal items. I don't know what the people who traded them in were thinking, but I'm not complaining about the more affordable models I've acquired over time. From what I understand some went for a few of the new boutique amps or newer fenders. The Divided by 13 line seems to be running out the door there too, they sound grea, but wow - pricey. Anyhow, I picked up two blackface Vibro Champs for great deals in the last 2 years. Sometimes it's risky buying these over ebay, but the store's tech guy goes through all of the amps they take in beofre they go out to the floor taking the risk out. This fact, the store warranty and their overall condition made it no-brainers.

If you can find stores that take in used like this, I'd say it's a good way to go. Same goes for guitars. This store just took in 2 identical mid 70's Gibson Les Pauls. One with a case, one without. They're documented and nothing hidden. That's the piece of mind that I prefer when shelling out dough for used gear.

Archived