Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitars...

Thundergod

Ever since making the (giant) leap to electric some 15 years ago I have never owned an acoustic for more than a month [crying] I have bought really cheap ones, and some between 1 and 2K, have never bought a really expensive one because I know I won't keep it for long.

Most of the times I've bought them because "you always need to have an acoustic" or "I need to record this and don't wanna borrow guitars from anyone" or just out of indiscriminated GAS

I'm about to buy a cheap takamine 12 string (just out of boredom, that much I'll admit)[blush]

This one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG523SC12-12String-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516303

Tried it last week and it sound great, not that I'll use it much but I don't use much most of my giutars anyway [lol]

So it's not nuts to buy the damn thing even if I know I won't use it much is it?[biggrin]

TG... the 12 looks nice.

Here's a thought, too. If you like the feel and the neck, you even could add a single pole for a more electricky sound.

12s are fun. I know I went through about a year of not playing much of anything else at one point.

Ever listen much to Leo Kottke?

You might get a laugh out of this....

m

I nearly bought a Takamine 12 string about 15 years ago and it was a really nice guitar. I have several 12's but all are electric except my Gibson J-185 12 string. The J-185 12 is one of (if not THE) the best sounding acoustic 12 string guitars I have ever come across. I've had it several years and it keeps on sounding better and better. Whenever I use it at a gig (tonight I did for example) someone, usually the sound guy, comments on how great it sounds. It's a long time since I've played a Takamine. When they first came out they made one of the best factory fitted transducers around. No reason to believe that they haven't kept up with the competition. I have an L R Baggs M1 active in my Gibby 12. However, a the J-185 12 is an expensive guitar and not currently a production model. I think you are probably doing the right thing getting that Takamine, especially as you say you don't always keep acoustics for long! Good luck, let us know what it's like when you've got it.

Thanks for posting that video Milod, my god he moded it into a 10 string so it would fit a normal case? [cool] I also checked some of the videos that apear in the menu to the right.

Dave I want a 12 string 'cause of the amazing heavenly tone you get out of them, I've played 12 stringers a couple of times and was always amazed at that tone, when properly played it sounds like you have a whole room full of guitarists playing in there.

I'll post a review as soon as I get her home, BTW this will probably be the only guitar I'll bring home or even keep at home and only take it to the studio when I need to work with it on any recording.

TG....

Yeah, and Kottke has a unique perspective on life he puts into his music, too.

I've a recording of him doing "Twilight Time" that's unreal.

I'd add that he's one of the musicians I tend to think about when I am having great difficulty going along with folks who want to categorize music into little boxes and put big labels on them.

In spite of being an exceptional picker, Kottke puts on a very good and entertaining show.

His sense of humor goes along with that 10-string sorta thing. Neck's too long? Peghead too long? Well, get out a saw and see? No problem.

m

Archived