Gibson Brands Forums

New (joke of an) amp day :D

Thundergod

Got me a (pedal sized) 22W amp head(?) from electro harmonix: the 22 caliber.

Well, I didn't buy it today, but I bought it recently and just today I got to try it at it's loudest.

I tried it with a 1x12 cab loaded with a 30W speaker, the result: nice cleans up to 9 out of 10 of volume. Then some dirt, but transistor dirt, and that's not what one wants.

Anyway, tried it directly from the guitar->22 caliber->1x12 OAG cab. Results: [angry] nice clean tones, taking the guitar's tone halfway down left me with a really nice jazz tone.

Tried it with a couple of pedals: EH holy grail (not that I needed it, I have a reverb room, for real [biggrin]), a boss sd1 superoverdrive, a morley bad horsei wah. Results: [cool] sounds nice, better than some (way more) expensive solid state heads or combos.

Tried it with the tonelab: Results [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup] great tone, not as nice as the tonelab through a tube amp, but halfway there.

-And it was 60 bucks [thumbup]

-And it fits in your pocket (watch funny video by EH owner/founder)

-And it's really easy to use (only one knob for volume and a switch for tone)

-And it's really loud and clean.

Haven't taken pics yet but I found some on the net and a funny video.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

22-caliber-460-80.jpg

DSC_00671-510x341.jpg

http://www.ehx.com/products/22-caliber

Runs with a 18V transformer.

The thing sounds really clean, nothing like that video, I think the horrible distortion you hear in that video comes from the camera or the mic (there's a second video where the old guy talks loud and that too gets distorted), not the "amp". I tried to get it to sound distorted and all I got was a little OD when using it at 10 which was really loud.

Runs with a 18V transformer.

The thing sounds really clean' date=' nothing like that video, I think the horrible distortion you hear in that video comes from the camera or the mic (there's a second video where the old guy talks loud and that too gets distorted), not the "amp". I tried to get it to sound distorted and all I got was a little OD when using it at 10 which was really loud.[/quote']

Video was weird. I kinda want one, just to have. It would be a kick to be playing around just with that. Nice to have for a backup though.

I do want a Big Muff though...

Archived