Gibson Brands Forums

Attenuators

Silenced Fred

I was talking with evol about my amp, and I realized I completely overlooked something: an attenuator!

Does anyone use them, or know how well they work out? I don't want it to affect tone, but if it enables me to practice with my current rig and everything else.

For the cost (around 300) would I be better off getting a small tube amp such as a Blackheart Little Giant, or a Vox AC4?

Yeah, we have been PM'ing. I am trying to convince Fred not to sell his beautiful Sunn combo and get it looked over instead: the amp has a switch to lower the output power to 12 watts, which is more reasonable for bedroom play. Right now he says it does not work. Every review I have read says that this is a LOUD 50 watt amp so getting that working would keep him from blowing everyone away until he starts playing the big boy venues.

Attenuators are fine for notching down an amp a bit but they're not good for taking a high powered amp down to bedroom levels - like your 50 watter. If you're looking to practice quietly at home and the Sunn is too much, I'd shop for a low powered amp instead.

Yeah' date=' we have been PM'ing. I am trying to convince Fred not to sell his beautiful Sunn combo and get it looked over instead: the amp has a switch to lower the output power to 12 watts, which is more reasonable for bedroom play. Right now he says it does not work. Every review I have read says that this is a LOUD 50 watt amp so getting that working would keep him from blowing everyone away until he starts playing the big boy venues.[/quote']

Thanks. I have been sending out emails to your suggestions and seeing if they have any estimates.

I went around today to SamAsh and Guitar Center for names of amp technicians, but I will have that experience in another thread... hehehe

Archived