Gibson Brands Forums

White Stripes cover band

Silenced Fred

I think I'm gonna start one with a friend. He's a solid drummer, and it should be a ton of fun, and I would cover guitar and vocals. I might be getting someone to play bass for the octave guitar parts, and someone to play keyboard. Would that ruin the whole vibe?

Any recommendations for White Stripes songs? I'm thinking Seven Nation Army, Fell in love with a girl, and Icky Thump

I think I'm gonna start one with a friend. He's a solid drummer' date=' and it should be a ton of fun, and I would cover guitar and vocals. I might be getting someone to play bass for the octave guitar parts, and someone to play keyboard. Would that ruin the whole vibe?

Any recommendations for White Stripes songs? I'm thinking Seven Nation Army, Fell in love with a girl, and Icky Thump[/quote']

Sounds pretty good, but I think it would be even better if you started out as a cover band just to get going, and then started writing your own similar music. My band is influenced mainly by classic rock, but people tell us that we sound a lot like The White Stripes and that's a great review in my eyes [biggrin].

And if you're completely set on playing covers, you should probably make the band as convincing as possible (i.e. nothing else than yourself and the drummer), and try to manage everything else just like Jack and Meg does. I think that would give you an awesome vibe, if you can pull it off.

Be aware of the EHX Pog units though, they cost roughly around $210. And those organ/keyboard parts that Jack plays, are played on a Moog Little Phatty worth approx. $1000. But no one says that you specifically need those things, just giving you a heads up so that you can adapt the songs for what you've got.

EDIT:

Right, tracks... Well, I've fallen in love with "I Fought Pihranas" recently, so that's a definitive for me. I also think you should do "Hello Operator", "Death Letter", "Let's Shake Hands", "Ball And Biscuit", "Rag And Bone", "Little Cream Soda"... well, I could go on forever, but those are some to get you started [biggrin]

Think outside the box...write and play your OWN stuff! I guess I'll never quite get "Tribute" bands.

I understand (perfectly) covering a few songs, by your favorite artists...but, doing only them??? Why??

Why not be a tribute, to yourselves, instead. At least a "cover band," does a variety. I would think, that

would be far less boring, for you...as a musician, and the audience, as well?

But...this is just my 2-cents...so...take it or leave it. :>)

CB

No, I understand completely. It will just be for a show at my school. I like the White Stripes and it is coming up fast. I need to start writing my own stuff more. As Kiwi said, I will be using this to transition to playing my own stuff, but this is just for now.

I could never do one where I just play cover songs, but its for "Guitar Night" at my school.

Don't let the drummer play like meg. She drives me crazy. Good song's but all she does is hit the crash or ride the WHOLE song one EVERY song. Drives me up the wall.

[biggrin] If you heard some of our discussions. That is the one thing I said, "Listen to the song. You hear that? Hear what she is playing? DON"T DO THAT!!!!"

He knows that, some songs will be similar but made our own

Covering the Stripes, that's a tall order. Jack is an incredibly creative artist. If you can play drums in what is essentially a punk band, create some of the most progressive blues-influenced rock in a really long time, be the producer on a fantastic country album(Loretta Lynne's Van Lear Rose), and is also currently producing an album for Wanda jackson, that takes an unusual and enormous amount of talent.

Make it real; you and a drummer. You'd really push yourself that way and it may spark some creative juices to boost your own original writing. I'd say go with "Ball and a Biscuit", "Hello Operator", "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", "Rag and Bone", and 'Seven Nation' just cause eveybody will know that one. Probably don't need to go to Sears and buy a plastic guitar though...

Covering the Stripes' date=' that's a tall order. Jack is an incredibly creative artist. If you can play drums in what is essentially a punk band, create some of the most progressive blues-influenced rock in a really long time, be the producer on a fantastic country album(Loretta Lynne's Van Lear Rose), and is also currently producing an album for Wanda jackson, that takes an unusual and enormous amount of talent.

Make it real; you and a drummer. You'd really push yourself that way and it may spark some creative juices to boost your own original writing. I'd say go with "Ball and a Biscuit", "Hello Operator", "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", "Rag and Bone", and 'Seven Nation' just cause eveybody will know that one. Probably don't need to go to Sears and buy a plastic guitar though...[/quote']

That's the thing. I know it is a tall order, but I think I can do it. I have to work on vocals a bit, and the drummer is really good. I might just do the whole two person thing, and start writing my own stuff with that... a homage.

On that note: have you listened to FLy Farm Blues? It sounds eerily familiar to Ball and a Biscuit..

That's the thing. I know it is a tall order' date=' but I think I can do it. I have to work on vocals a bit, and the drummer is really good. I might just do the whole two person thing, and start writing my own stuff with that... a homage.

On that note: have you listened to FLy Farm Blues? It sounds eerily familiar to Ball and a Biscuit..[/quote']

I haven't heard that, do you know the artist? The riff is also from Bob Dylan's "Meet Me In The Morning/Call Letter Blues". I saw Dylan at the Ryman in Nashville a couple years ago and White made a surprise appearance and played "Meet Me In The Morning" with his own raunchy take on it. Song was written in 1975 and this was the first time Dylan had ever performed it live; and hasn't been performed since. I used to have a link to an audio file for it, if I can find it I'll post it. Old-school blues, it was pretty freakin' cool.

Fly Farm Blues: Did not know that was the title[blush] . Now I know the name of the song I was trying to describe to a friend a week or so ago. And anybody that watched GI Joe as a kid knows that is half the battle

Fly Farm Blues: Did not know that was the title[blush] . Now I know the name of the song I was trying to describe to a friend a week or so ago. And anybody that watched GI Joe as a kid knows that is half the battle

Its a good song, but I was listening to Ball and Biscuit and found it really similar. Cool stuff man

If you're doing the Stripes, you gotta rock out Hotel Yorba and Black Math. And might want to see about getting a Whammy pedal. Those pitch bends and one-octave-down tricks (think Seven Nation Army) are his trade mark.

If you're doing the Stripes' date=' you gotta rock out [i']Hotel Yorba[/i] and Black Math. And might want to see about getting a Whammy pedal. Those pitch bends and one-octave-down tricks (think Seven Nation Army) are his trade mark.

yeah, I have to drop some cash on that stuff. I have worked on slide a bit, it sounds decent.

Archived