Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar amp & bass

Jantha

I realize it's not optimal, but if played at low levels (most likely with headphones), will playing a bass through my amp be safe? I'm reading conflicting views, and I was curious what you guys think. I'll dish out the money for a bass amp when I have it, but in the meantime, I'd like to get by with with I have if possible. Thanks for the help as always...

I realize it's not optimal' date=' but if played at low levels (most likely with headphones), will playing a bass through my amp be safe? I'm reading conflicting views, and I was curious what you guys think. I'll dish out the money for a bass amp when I have it, but in the meantime, I'd like to get by with with I have if possible. Thanks for the help as always...[/quote']

I'm fairly sure you can blow out your amp by using a bass. Not 100% sure, but I don't think I would risk it

What about a VOX Amplug-bass ?

Yea I'm thinking about one of those since I'll mostly be goofing around. However, my guitar amp does have a headphone jack.. so I'm curious if I can just use it instead.

I recall wrecking some speakers when I played bass through a Vibrolux or Vibreverb amp, (I remember it having four 10" speakers). Then I got a Bassman but added a 12" Showman bottom, (so it had three 12" speakers)...never a problem with that rig.... For the last 30+ years I played through a Dual Showman, (two 15" speakers), and never a problem. Now I have a solid state Bassman, (one 15" and a horn).

I think if the amp it too small, (speaker-wise and power-wise), it could be a problem.

Archived