Gibson Brands Forums

ES 175 Gibson or Epiphone?

eallenb

OK, I 've got the bug. TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY. That being said I've been reading reviews etc. regarding the ES 175 Gibson and Epiphone. I am not able to test drive either so I am at a disadvantage. It is obvious that the price is a significant difference but, will I get 6 to 7 times the Guitar.

I am not a professional by any means. My mother started teaching me violin and piano around 1960. I have been playing the guitar since around 1968. I love Jazz soooo I finally found a 1946 ish L7 which plays well. I wanted to go electric recently and am trying to make the transition.

OK' date=' I 've got the bug. TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY. That being said I've been reading reviews etc. regarding the ES 175 Gibson and Epiphone. I am not able to test drive either so I am at a disadvantage. It is obvious that the price is a significant difference but, will I get 6 to 7 times the Guitar.[/quote']

The Gibson is better...but only you can determiine if it's worth the difference.

I have several Gibsons, and bought a couple of Epi's for my son and DIL. I was VERY impressed with their quality, (for $300-$350 guitars)

From the major sites I can buy the reissue ES 175 for $499.00. My local Rock Shop will special order one in for $550.00. The local guy obviously does not want to be sitting with excess inventory should I decide it is not right for me and I can not fault him for that. Musicians Friend will give a 45 day trial for anything $1,000.00 and under i.e. Epiphone Es 175. 10 day trial for the Gibson ES 175 of course free shipping to me. If I bring them in I would need to set them up to be fair. Decisions Decisions. Suggestions?

For a man who's had his finger stuck up his nose for the last 56 years or so, Danville Rob makes good scents. LOL_smilie.gif

Seriously, if it's something you think you're going to stick with, and you're not a person who wants a large collection of instruments, spend your money on the Gibson. You'll NEVER have buyer's remorse if you get something that plays as well, looks and sounds as good and keeps its value over its lifetime like a Gibson. That being said, I have a couple Epiphone electrics that are over 10 years old and make me smile every time I play them. One of them is my "go-to" axe that gets more playing time than all the others put together.

Best of luck with your decision as well as your new "addiction".

Me, I'd say a lot depends on whatcha have in your checking account.

I love the 175 body style. A lotta the sound is gonna come from the amp, so don't forget that aspect of it either.

Another option is an add-on pickup for what you've got in that L7. Some fit the electronics right under the pick guard and put a nice humbucker in the neck position. Some replace the pick guard entirely with volume and tone controls, etc.

Where are you, Casper? I know what you're talking about with not having too many stores around. <grin>

My experience is that if they'll restring and set up for you at the guitar store - and I'm sure you're also gonna get a nice hard case for whatever you decide - it may be worth the close to $700 you'd spend by buying locally for a nicely set up Epi. That assumes the store guys know what they're doing.

The Gibbie 175 is quite the box, no question. The advantage to the Epi is that if you get it nicely set up and find you love the thing, you may then wanna upgrade to the Gibbie.

Again, a lot depends on your checking account.

m

milod,

I am just down the road from you in Gillette. I know it's about Do Re Mi. I don't mind spending as I have a Les Paul Custom. The jazz thing is what's driving my state of mind. I have placed a Dean Markley Flat Top "pick up" near the bridge with rubber bands (REALLY) but that "FAT" sound is not there. It sounds more 50's Rock which is great sometimes but I'm really "achin" for the electric Jazz. I could take your suggestion and run with it though and try the pick guard suggestion and save some cash and the little lady aggravation, maybe.

I have a Les Paul Custom. The jazz thing is what's driving my state of mind.

Wow.

I'm stuck here' date=' guys....

You probably already know enough about the guitars to make the decision based on facts.

Maybe it's the emotional aspect of spending such a chunk of change, and the little lady aggravation?

Not sure how objective my advice is, or how many people will disagree with me, but here goes;

The Gibson ES-175 is worth every penny, and I have no doubt you can fully appreciate the guitar.

I see on the website for Musician's Friend ( I call them the MFers myself...) an example of the prices.

For a Gibson, you can [b']Buy New [/b]for $3,749 - $4,149 or Buy Used for $2,999

Since most 175s are adult owned and well cared for, I might entertain a used one.

Concerning the Epiphone, here's where my opinion gets on some people's nerves....

You can buy a new one for $499, and in my opinion they are a waste of money.

I'll spend eight times as much money - and feel much more confident I got my money's worth.

I'll take the Gibson every time.

A couple different scenarios come to mind;

Buy the Epi and save yourself a ton of cash, you may be happy and simply stop there - but I doubt it.

Buy the Epi, then go ahead and buy the Gibson later because it's inevitable, eh?

:)

Then you have to decide if the Epi is worth keeping for any reason, or give it away.

Selling it may not be an option, certainly not to recover any substantial portion of the new price.

Go ahead and get the Real Deal.

Any doubts? Look at your LP Custom again.

You will have no regrets, and with your playing style one could argue that you need it - you deserve it!

Make sure the little lady buys into this argument as well....

I doubt you'll be lusting for the Epiphone.

[biggrin]

NCM

Your arguments are sound! You are right, I do believe I deserve one. Alternatives... E Bay has various Classic ES 175's although E Bay scares me in the respect "Are they what they say they Are. My L7 could be cosmetically modified with the pick-guard retrofit (much better than the rubberband attached pick up)however, I wish I could just sit and try one of each. Perhaps a trip to the Big City is in order. All Righty Then where do I go. Pack up the Mules "Darlin" were goin to town (BUT WHERE?)[biggrin]

Anyplace but Guitar Center...

I've bought and sold plenty of guitars on Ebay with good luck.

As shopping anywhere else, don't rush and don't buy until you're confident.

I'm sure you know the drill.

Good luck in your search!

eallenb

Take a look at some of this.

http://www.archtop.com/ac_access.html#anchor46193451

One problem you may have with a pickup on the L7 so far is that toward the bridge, whether a single pole or humbucker, you're not gonna get that "jazz sound." Gotta be up at the end of the fretboard. That's likely part of your difficulty. Added to that might be what you're expecting from a combination of pickup, string and amp.

Also where are you pickin'? I think a lot of the "nice jazz sound" players just naturally play closer to the fingerboard than the bridge.

Gillette, eh? Yup, just next door.

Yeah, the Gibson is a lot better quality overall that you're sure of. Heck, I'd be happy with the epi, myself. <grin>

I don't know what you've got for an amp, but I always figure you've gotta get a package with a guitar.

AS for guitar stores... I dunno. Nothing you'd care much for on this side of the Missouri up here. Billings usta have a store or two and I think Casper was half decent once for stores.

I'm guessing you'd have to check out Denver at least if you were to take a guitar store trip.

m

m;

Thanks for the reply. Yup I knew and tried to get as close as possible to the neck. I just didn't have the gear to accomplish this. Envision a 1980 Era "Dean Markley" Acoustic pick up for a flat top (I borrowed from my GUILD.... original application) attached it to the Arch Top (L7) with Rubber Bands using the "F" holes. It gives a great 50's Rock era sound. I tried then to move it further upstream only to get 3/4 the way there still attaching with Rubber Bands (no buzzing with rubber bands LOL). So I'm saying to myself "Just go Electric' quit being so Miserly. Even though I knew with that sweet ArchTop I could get a sweet Jazz goin on so why not try. When that pick up is near the neck "Hello"

Thanks for your research I have bookmarked the site and will do my home work now. Still I've got that ES175 itch. I could call the Bozeman MT. Gibson Dealer although I would guess there are more acoustics than electrics there. It's worth a try though before going to Denver or Salt Lake. maybe. I missed my chance this time last year as I was thru Nashville, TN. Shoulda Coulda and Woulda pick one that's my middle name.[crying]

I actually cobbled up my "f hole sliding pickup" onto a mandolin. It's a single pole, but such stuff ain't been manufactured for years. It's like the "clamp it on the strings behind the bridge" one shown in the web site of my earlier note.

I used it down by the bridge to do rock in the 60s on a 7-string (doubled G like a 12-string) and moved up to the neck for other stuff.

The floating pickup thing actually is what several marques/models use for high-end instruments rather than drilling holes. I can't remember exactly what Gibson or Epi have now along those lines but...

I think you probably couldn't get a more pure jazz archtop than a floating pickup and under-pickguard electronics on a classic Gibbie. You might wanna get another pickguard to drill through, depending on whatever variations....

But... I think a lotta traditionalists would drool.

Don't get me wrong. I honestly believe the 175 and a nice amp is the ideal solo player's guitar except in a venue that requires a full acoustic like bluegrass sorta stuff.

The Epi probably in ways is the most bang for the buck for this type of "player" guitar.

The Gibbie almost certainly will hold and/or increase value better and very likely would hold together better for the next 30 years or more. <grin> I just couldn't afford the Gibbie. #@$%@#$%

Both really would deserve a proper setup if you know for sure what strings you wanna use. Most "jazz" guys think I use way too light strings, but they make me happy and with the fatter flatwounds the box sat unloved in the case.

m

Archived