Gibson Brands Forums

Give a new Gibson for a gift=No warranty

LerxstLee

I was given a $3700.00 Gibson for my Birthday. I had a few problems, some were surely warranty issues,

some fell into Gibson's famous "that is not covered under warranty" issues. I was finally sure I was going to

get some of the problems with my guitar fixed.

I gave all my information, the list of the issues, and was given an RA#.

Then the service agent said with a happy tone to his voice,

" I sure hope the name on the receipt matches your warranty card ! "

I replied " My fiance gave this to me for my birthday and I sent the warranty card in"

Well to my surprise the agents tone in his voice changed as he gladly informed me " A Gibson guitar is only waranteed to the original purchaser, not the person who receives it as a gift or who is the original owner."

I was the first one to open my guitar bought for me as a gift.

Needless to say my guitar stayed safely at home.

Most companies would be glad to serve their customers, yet in this case Gibson seemed very

happy not to give any service to this instrument.

Just to clarify, we had and still have the same address, she cannot play guitar but was very pleased

to give me a gift I very much wanted. Yet this did not matter, it was black and white, no warranty except

to the original purchaser. I was not trying to get service on someone elses guitar, I am sure that happens,

yet I would think in a case like this, same address, was purchased has a gift, what would be the issue?

In the future do not buy a Gibson guitar for anyone other than yourself. Also do yourself a favor and if someone

is going to buy you a guitar for any occasion, Rickenbacker, P.R.S.,Martin,even Fender, will repair warranty problems

if the guitar is a gift. I am sure there are other reputable brands that will also cover the warranty. If someone still

decides to give a Gibson for a gift, make sure the reciept has that persons name on the receipt.

I had said two years ago this was my last Gibson and it surely has been.

Although the giving of a gift is a reward in itself, make sure your gift does not

include a Gibson. We learned the hard way. I hope some parents, esp, step parents who do not share the same

last name heed the warning. One Gibson is one too many. I had heard Gibson was addressing

customer service issues, well I doubted it two years ago and I surely see how it is the sadley still the same.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was given a $3700.00 Gibson for my Birthday. I had a few problems' date=' some were surely warranty issues,

some fell into Gibson's famous "that is not covered under warranty" issues. I was finally sure I was going to

get some of the problems with my guitar fixed.

I gave all my information, the list of the issues, and was given an RA#.

Then the service agent said with a happy tone to his voice,

I replied " My fiance gave this to me for my birthday and I sent the warranty card in"

Well to my surprise the agents tone in his voice changed as he gladly informed me " A Gibson guitar is only waranteed to the original purchaser, not the person who receives it as a gift or who is the original owner."

I was the first one to open my guitar bought for me as a gift.

Needless to say my guitar stayed safely at home.

Most companies would be glad to serve their customers, yet in this case Gibson seemed very

happy not to give any service to this instrument.

Just to clarify, we had and still have the same address, she cannot play guitar but was very pleased

to give me a gift I very much wanted. Yet this did not matter, it was black and white, no warranty except

to the original purchaser. I was not trying to get service on someone elses guitar, I am sure that happens,

yet I would think in a case like this, same address, was purchased has a gift, what would be the issue?

In the future do not buy a Gibson guitar for anyone other than yourself. Also do yourself a favor and if someone

is going to buy you a guitar for any occasion, Rickenbacker, P.R.S.,Martin,even Fender, will repair warranty problems

if the guitar is a gift. I am sure there are other reputable brands that will also cover the warranty. If someone still

decides to give a Gibson for a gift, make sure the reciept has that persons name on the receipt.

I had said two years ago this was my last Gibson and it surely has been.

Although the giving of a gift is a reward in itself, make sure your gift does not

include a Gibson. We learned the hard way. I hope some parents, esp, step parents who do not share the same

last name heed the warning. One Gibson is one too many. I had heard Gibson was addressing

customer service issues, well I doubted it two years ago and I surely see how it is the sadley still the same.[/quote']

That's pretty upsetting to hear!

That just doesn't sound reasonable.

I'd think a small claims suit against the selling store would get you your money back, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I dont' understand - why didn't you just hand the phone over to your fiance? Problem solved.

Did you also put your name on the warranty card? If you did, you shouldn't have even mentioned your fiance bought the guitar for you.

When someone asks you " I sure hope the name on the receipt matches your warranty card ! " you say yes.

This just does not sound right' date=' there are things missing. The easy resolve is hand the phone over to the girl friend like R9 stated. I have never heard about something like this. The only time I have heard that Gibson actually refused warranty on a new guitar is that it was purchased on a auction site from a non-authorized dealer.

No calling ya a liar but there is something missing in this story.[/quote']

His statement was that the service guy said:

On the plus side, the snarky Gibson CSR at least gave you a heads-up to make sure you knew the drill.

Sounds like there's no "problem" here in getting the warranty issues resolved, eh?

Git 'er done, make sure it's done right, thank the authorized repair shop for their time and effort.

Problem solved.

Now, Gibson's "unique" idea of Customer Service is just a fact of life, as it is with so many other businesses.

They are certainly not alone, and trust me, I rip 'em all a new *** hole every chance I get.

How you proceed is up to you, but I think Job One is getting the guitar right.

Everything else is minimal.

Now' date=' Gibson's "unique" idea of Customer Service is just a fact of life, as it is with so many other businesses.

They are certainly not alone, and trust me, I rip 'em all a new *** hole every chance I get.

[/quote']

Our warranty department reports to me. Our warranties can, and some components often do, go up to 12 years/500,000 miles... and I CONSTANTLY "do what's right" for the customer. Our customer base is well aware that our company will always "do what's right", so they're FIERCELY loyal, (and in a low-bid environment, that's unusual). Given that, most vehicle manufacturers set a 'goal' of 2% of sales for warranty costs. Ours runs, and has run this way for all the years I've been doing this, at @ .4 - .5% of Sales, even though the warranty we provide is specified by the customer, and we bid on the buses based on what warranty they spec.

And you're absoultely right...job one is to get it right in the first place!

The reason I assume he made the statement was I had inquired about service over a year ago.

I needed to let things be for a while. I than decided I would ask about getting other issue that started to plague the instrument.

They already know by the serial number where and who purchased it. So after I listed the issues, and he gave me an ra# he had

everthing on his screen. He also knew that I was not the original purchaser, there is nothing missing read the warranty card just as I was

told. I have the card and I am quoting it verbatim:

Please Note: When requesting Warranty Repair, you will be required to furnish a copy of your bill of sale as proof that you are the original owner.

If you take that and put away any conspiracies and secondly how gibson continues to deal with customer service, what sounds like something is missing?

I surely do not agree. Yet what else can I clarify, they knew the card and bill of sale did not match. If someone gave you a guitar for a gift

why would you even consider sending the warranty card in under the other persons name. It was indeed purchased from an authorized dealer.

It was a gift and I am the original owner, yet I am not on the bill of sale proving I am just that. I do not agree, yet it is another story of gibsons

24/7 customer service with your Limited Lifetime Warranty. Sure I know better now, but it is too late.

What does not sound right is why a gift is not covered under warranty, I could understand if it was five years later and it was in some other persons name where I never lived, or the person who bought it for me would not even claim that. This is what happened, why do you think I could have possibly been treated any differently or why do you think putting my Fiance on the phone would have changed the fact that the bill of sale did not have my name on it, while the warranty card has my name on it. I wish this was not the case. I am just trying to help anyone out there who would consider giving a Gibson guitar for a gift, to consider what you want to do before you buy or give it, and then what to do with the warranty card.

Consider another thought, what if I sent the warranty card in with my fiance's name on it. All would be fine and well correct? Well what if the relationship soured and we parted ways. Should I have to contact her for the rest of my life if I need warranty service?

I hope this clarifies my issue, I surely wish this was not the issue. I also think there should be consideration given especially when addresses and bill of sales match. Yet I am dealing with Gibson. Go back through customer service posts and see how many people are truley satisfied with the way they were treated.

Sorry to ramble on. Any help is surely accepted. So let me know what sounds so wrong other than the way I was treated?

Thanks

I dont' understand - why didn't you just hand the phone over to your fiance? Problem solved.

Did you also put your name on the warranty card? If you did' date=' you shouldn't have even mentioned your fiance bought the guitar for you.

When someone asks you " I sure hope the name on the receipt matches your warranty card ! " you say yes.[/quote']

Trouble is if, as I suspect, the selling store passed the purchaser information on to Gibson Corporate Warranty department, they have his fiance's name as the purchaser. He sent the Warranty registration card with his name on it. They don't match. Bob's your aunt.... it's as good as a used guitar.

Common sense would say if the recipient sent the card in promptly, then there should be no problem, the name on the card should take precedence.

Gibson Warranty? What do you say is the policy? Is this customer unfriendly hair splitting?

Boy' date=' I bet we could put away some beer talking about the whole warranty concept, eh?

:D

[/quote']

The only way I can make any sense of this would be with a good rack in me.

Times have changed, but Gibson rides the name. Well I think they "rode the name too long"

Living in a remote area I am a few hours if not

more from a Gibson dealer. Even then when a limited instrument is released and you pay for it before

it sells out, well there was a time when Gibson had that problem, I do believe they wish they could

sell enough to make payroll now. Yet they did it to themselves. I have always been a fan of Gibson,

right up until this issue. I own five Gibsons all but one of them were bought new.

I understand the term bill of sale, but when something new is gifted you are the original owner.

It was not puchased second hand, the billing address and the warranty address are the same.

Yet at the time we were not married. Even then I would have still sent the warranty card in and the

first name would not have matched. Another reason for customer service to grin ear to ear.

They gotcha again. They have for years probably used the saying, ah we sell enough how can one customer

matter. Well I bought my first Gibson thirty years ago. If I owned a company I would be glad to service a customer

certianly of thirty years. Yet my ethics do not always line up with others.

Best to you NeoC

I think we're aligned pretty closely in more ways than you know...

Well what if the relationship soured and we parted ways.

Should I have to contact her for the rest of my life if I need warranty service?

I know this helps in no way, but it's worth mentioning as a Public Service Announcement to the world.

My dealer is pretty quick to pick up on the idea that a guitar is being bought as a gift.

He will ask if you would like the recipient's name on the receipt for the reasons you mention.

Even with our own son's new Deluxe Strat several years ago, he asked.

I saw it as an opportunity to give the boy full ownership of the guitar, so I insisted that it have his name only.

They don't care that the name on the actual credit card receipt id different - my wife provided ID.

Did you also put your name on the warranty card? If you did' date=' you shouldn't have even mentioned your fiance bought the guitar for you.

When someone asks you " I sure hope the name on the receipt matches your warranty card ! " you say yes.[/quote']

There is one great idea. Lie. Then spend the money to ship the guitar just to get a phone call " Same address yet

the bill of sale does not match the owners warranty card" pay to ship it back.

How far do you really think when someone asks you a question tell them a lie, then include the truth in writing,

and have them call you a lier trying to scam them.

The last problem I want is to try to lie to a company when I am requesting service. Sounds like a sure fire way

to show you have little intentions on being honest with them, and secondly never give advice that instructs people

to lie. What purpose would that serve them. "Just Lie" Thanks for the great idea. :D

I suppose all they are wanting to see at Gibson is the guitar's details on a bill of sale from the store.

If you just so happen to be in possession of it despite not being the original owner....

Unless there's a warranty claim or record of contact in another name, you'd be good.

I have bought a couple of high end Gibson's in past years @ GC and other stores.

I've never seen my name on any receipt' date=' maybe address or Phone # but no name.:D [/quote']

Maybe that's 'cause everyone knows you from your pictures in the Post Office!

There is one great idea. Lie. Then spend the money to ship the guitar just to get a phone call " Same address yet

the bill of sale does not match the owners warranty card" pay to ship it back.

How far do you really think when someone asks you a question tell them a lie' date=' then include the truth in writing,

and have them call you a lier trying to scam them.

The last problem I want is to try to lie to a company when I am requesting service. Sounds like a sure fire way

to show you have little intentions on being honest with them, and secondly never give advice that instructs people

to lie. What purpose would that serve them. "Just Lie" Thanks for the great idea. :) [/quote']

Just ship it. Claim UPS damaged it... It happens all the time.

No.. I wouldn't do that either. It just bugs the bajeebers out of me that those that do lie get by with it and honest people get the shaft.

There was a farm bill back in the 60's or 70's that helped farmers with farm improvement. Dad put up some modern grain storage and handling facilities. i.e. grain bin and associated augers.

When the gubmint man came to inspect the finished assembly and present Dad with the gubmint loan check, he asked Dad when it was delivered. Dad said, well some of it was delivered... 6 weeks ago, the rest came over the course of those 6 weeks and the installation was finished two days ago.

Oh... that's too bad, We cannot give you a loan on anything that was delivered more than 4 weeks ago.

"However," seeing my dad turn read, the Gman went on to say, "If you can get your neighbors to sign an affidavit, attesting to the fact that it was all delivered in the last 4 weeks, I can let you have the check today."

:-k

"Keep your #*&^#%^ check," said my dad, "I don't lie and won't ask my neighbors to lie for me. Now get off'n my property." He went to the bank and got a private loan.

"However' date='" seeing my dad turn read, the Gman went on to say, "If you can get your neighbors to sign an affidavit, attesting to the fact that it was all delivered in the last 4 weeks, I can let you have the check today."

[angry

A preview of our health care!!

I have bought a couple of high end Gibson's in past years @ GC and other stores.

I've never seen my name on any receipt' date=' maybe address or Phone # but no name.[angry

Your point when someone gets you a birthday gift with a CC over the internet.

I have purchased items from the guitar center and they always ask for Name addres phone ect,

cash or cc. They want you on the mailing list.

How would a bill of sale with no name be of any use proving you are the original owner?

:-$

Trouble is if' date=' as I suspect, the selling store passed the purchaser information on to Gibson Corporate Warranty department, they have his fiance's name as the purchaser. He sent the Warranty registration card with his name on it. They don't match. Bob's your aunt.... it's as good as a used guitar.[/quote']

I've never heard of a store doing that. That's what the registration/warranty card is for. At stores, I've paid cash for a few guitars and they entered my name into a computer. All you need is the receipt...that's your proof...and not all receipts have names on them. If you send in the warranty card, it has your name on it and you have the original receipt, you're covered.

LerxstLee, that last part of my first post was a joke. Guess you're not a Ghostbusters fan. "Ray, if someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes."

I think this whole situation is horse sh!t. I wouldn't declare a defeat with Gibson yet, I think you have a valid argument. Get back on the phone and start working your way up the chain of command till you get your problems taken care of. Maybe its as simple as getting a different rep that is willing to work with you. Perhaps you can get the dealer to help you out.

Any chance the selling store would be willing to issue a replacment invoice?

Finally the voice of reason. I would have the store work for you since you are there customer and let them

explain the situation. I bet they would be glad to keep a customer by helping you out. Good luck

Another good reason to buy used.

CW

Archived