Gibson Brands Forums

Is my gibson SG from 1961 or a reissue?

odiumimbues

I bought this guitar just now and it looks and smells really old. The body has some damage to it, the tuning pegs have been replaced by grovers. One of the humbuckers has been replaced, however I dont know if both of them have. I think the knobs have been replaced as well.

The seller told me it is a 1966 gibson SG. However I am not sure. I didnt buy this guitar based on what he said but It sure in the hell beats my fender squire. :)

Heres some photos. I need to know if its from 1961 or a reissue, and if possible how original is it?

http://img534.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture5m.jpg

thanks everyone.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant' date=' USA

approximately in: 1966 or 1968

According to The Guitar Dater Project website (http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx), but I guess you need to check the pots and such before being completely sure.[/quote']

what are pots? I am a guitar player however I am new to the history and understanding of guitars and companies.

I bought this guitar for 200 dollars from a friend in treatment who has had it a long time... he has replaced a few parts though.

Is this guitar worth anything? If it is the real deal I would most likely take the correct approach to ensuring its quality and stuff.

While overall condition is important, it's ultimately all about originality when it comes to monetary value. Original pups, tuners, trem system, bridge, knobs, selector switch plate/cover, pickguard, etc. It's a rare model but in that condition, not worth a lot.

The good news is, as you say, it still beats the hell outta your fender squire.

While overall condition is important' date=' it's ultimately [b']all[/b] about originality when it comes to monetary value. Original pups, tuners, trem system, bridge, knobs, selector switch plate/cover, pickguard, etc. It's a rare model but in that condition, not worth a lot.

The good news is, as you say, it still beats the hell outta your fender squire.

well couldnt i buy original pieces back? the pots are original.. i figured this out through online.

but I would need to find a original pegs and humbuckers maybe? can you tell me if the knobs for volume and such are original?

Dude, you're missing the point. Original means the parts that originally came on that guitar. Not parts scooped up on eBay. It'd be cool as hell to restore it but as for resale value, it doesn't look promising. Sorry.

Think of it like a vintage car. There's a huge price difference between an all original automobile and a restored one.

Dude' date=' you're missing the point. Original means the parts that [i']originally[/i] came on that guitar. Not parts scooped up on eBay. It'd be cool as hell to restore it but as for resale value, it doesn't look promising. Sorry.

that all makes sense, but how do people know if all the parts are original? for all we know in the 80s people could have scooped up all the pieces that make some of our collectible guitars today.

while only a handful are truthfully originally built fully.

but who knows, Im just glad its really old.. I like it a lot. thanks for your help.

Sure, man, that's a good point. It's not like you can check it's DNA. I'm no frickin' authority but I do know a bit about the vintage guitar market and i'm happy to help. If she were mine, I'd try and restore it but be warned, finding an original trem system alone could cost you more than the guitar's worth. You'd better make sure you find out the "actual" year it is before you go hunting parts. Hell, you might as well have it refinished while you're at it. Come to think of it, you might end up with a fairly valuable instrument after all. You can say 100% original... sort of.

Good luck!

Sure' date=' man, that's a good point. It's not like you can check it's DNA. I'm no frickin' authority but I do know a bit about the vintage guitar market and i'm happy to help. If she were mine, I'd try and restore it but be warned, finding an original trem system alone could cost you more than the guitar's worth. You'd better make sure you find out the "actual" year it is before you go hunting parts. Hell, you might as well have it refinished while you're at it. You might end up with a fairly valuable instrument after all. Good luck with it and keep is posted.

Rock on![/quote']

thats all im worried about right now is refinishing it..

I am pretty confident the parts inside are original but have been resoddered. I wouldnt mind the bumps and scrapes except the back of the guitar.. which you can see from the pics.. is horrible.

also there are small initials carved into the side of the guitar " P.M." ? just joking.. be awesome though if paul played it ahha

Archived