Gibson Brands Forums

...Another freakin' tube question.

Twiz

Hey guys, I'm looking to change the tubes in my Epiphone Valve Jr. I want to get something that gives me more headroom so I can get a clean tone at louder volumes, and use various overdrive, fuzz, and distortion pedals. Does anyone have any tube recommendations? Thanks.

JJ ECC803S Gold Tip (pre am) slovakian made, can't say enough about these tubes, great crunch, reliable. Ei are also pretty good but not sue if you can get them now, yugoslavian. The new Meas Boogie are pretty hot, now a days 95% of the tubes are Russian made, the rest are Chinese, I've had pretty good luck with older Chinese 12AX7A's, but those were from the mid 80's. You can't go wrong with JJ's, spend the few extra bucks for the matched set.

Hey guys' date=' I'm looking to change the tubes in my Epiphone Valve Jr. I want to get something that gives me more headroom so I can get a clean tone at louder volumes, and use various overdrive, fuzz, and distortion pedals. Does anyone have any tube recommendations? Thanks.[/quote']

Your VJ runs stock with a 12AX7 for a pre-amp tube. This tube has a gain factor of 100. You should try a tube that has less gain factor such as a 5751 (70 gain factor) or a 12AT7 (60 gain factor). These should increase your head room a little, but you will have slightly less volume as well.

Your VJ runs stock with a 12AX7 for a pre-amp tube. This tube has a gain factor of 100. You should try a tube that has less gain factor such as a 5751 (70 gain factor) or a 12AT7 (60 gain factor). These should increase your head room a little' date=' but you will have slightly less volume as well.[/quote']

This is the answer to the question.

If these suggested tubes do not give you enough clean tone then a few simple mods to the amp are needed, like adding a Negative Feedback resistor.

The ultimate mod is to replace the output transformer with one with higher primary impedance to make the sound more Hi-Fi.

The issue you will have with less gain is there will be a perceived lower volume.

Funny thing is that this is how 100 Watt amps came about, players needed more clean headroom and keep a useable volume for gigs. Having a low wattage amp and wanting clean tones is a bit of a conflict.

Your VJ runs stock with a 12AX7 for a pre-amp tube. This tube has a gain factor of 100. You should try a tube that has less gain factor such as a 5751 (70 gain factor) or a 12AT7 (60 gain factor). These should increase your head room a little' date=' but you will have slightly less volume as well.[/quote']

+1

Archived