Gibson Brands Forums

Mic'ed Speakers

TommyK

i.e. a microphone stuck right up against the grille of a stage speaker / cab.

Is it me? or is mic'ing a speaker a new thing? I've noticed this set-up from the Jay Leno show to Church to SNL. Why mic a speaker? does it double the output? Is this a new thing? or have I just been unobservant?

[biggrin]

if you need to run the guitar to the drummers monitor...........

if you are playing outside and want to run the guitar through the PA (stupid imo)

if you are playing wembly stadium

if you amp isnt loud enough, then you run it through the PA, but I find running anything but the kick drum through the PA muds up the vocals

but my amps are pretty loud, so idk

It seems pretty standard practice. I've done it, as the player and as the engineer. With amps going into the system, the board has almost total control of the sound.

You get to use a smaller amp that sounds the way you want, run through the PA, rather than a big amp that doesn't.

Of course, on TV it's necessary so that the guitar goes into the sound board. Most of that TV sound is a feed from the instruments, with room mics to pick up the audience more than anything else.

It is the, "way of the world"j.h. now. I bought my first low watt amp last year when I went small venue, Reinhardt. It is mean, Sonds like old Vox amps, and has never maxed out in area clubs anyway. So no experiments from me yet. Lately I've been playing my Fenders through it and a Twin for a sound I can't get enough of at small club low volumes.

BUT

Ever notice Tom Petty's lead uses a small mic'ed amp and the big M's are for show. Same with Crowe's lead. So many methods, isolations and reasons for doing this now days. Plus, so many experts at getting done what the powers at be desire. It is here to stay.

if you need to run the guitar to the drummers monitor...........

if you are playing outside and want to run the guitar through the PA (stupid imo)

if you are playing wembly stadium

if you amp isnt loud enough' date=' then you run it through the PA, but I find running anything but the kick drum through the PA muds up the vocals

but my amps are pretty loud, so idk[/quote']

I traded in my Marshall stack for an 18-watt version back in 1976 when the band I was in had a killer PA with 18 inputs and 1600 watts of rms power. Mic'd the guitar for the rest of my career (just like all the 'big guys' do and HAVE DONE for the last 30 years). The 'live' amp sound is merely a stage monitor for the big boys.

Never missed hauling that stack around. Hell, never missed the stack.

Having a 100 watt stack is stupid (imo) unless you are playing Wembley Stadium since you've got to put out about 80 watts in order to hit the sweet spot & I don't know how many indoor places you can pull that off.

Archived