Gibson Brands Forums

Going for my 2nd set... you guys gotta try this.

Thundergod

Duane, I sincerely hope you don't delete this one.[blush]

Anyway... A couple of weeks ago I was bored and had some 2 hours to waste so I decided to try a few things I'd like to share with you guys, maybe some of the multi-guitar owners will want to try it.

First, I went back to 2 batteries for 2 of my 3 EMG 81/85 loaded axes... nice change :) but some of you guys already know about that "mod".

Then I cleaned up the guitars I rarely use, in hopes of playin' them so I can decide which to put for sale at the store, put 2 more, hopefuly they'll sell this week and I won't have to look at them ugly asses anymore. One is a strat the other is a superstrat [cool]

Third... I have always liked the idea of flatwounds but the thing is, I don't own a jazzbox, I don't play jazz often (once a month maybe) and I like some brightness to my strings (which flatwounds take out mainly due to their caliber).

Now I don't know if you guys are familiar with flatwounds, they are... flat [biggrin] and do almost no noise, sets come with a wound 3rd string that is just too damn hard to bend.

There's a "light flatwound" (10-48) set from d'addario right now but it's still got the wound G and the rest of the strings are just too damn stiff. I don't know how to put it, but compared to a set of 10-48s of normal strings they are really different, hard to play and bend, heavy and with no higher end. The 6th string is too damn heavy.

Call me un-practical but when I do some mod I do it to my main axe, 'cause that's the one I use way more than the others and there's no point at doing a mod you won't enjoy daily IMO.

So I started with the whole set. Tried it for half an hour... it was hard to bend and tap, not good.

I went and opened a set of flatwound 11-50s, and a set of normal round wound 10-46s.

-Installed e, B and G from the roundwound set (which aren't wound).

-Installed G, D and A from the flatwound set, as D, A and E.

Tuned up... played some jazz licks (tone down), then some blues... then set the volume at 10 just to see how it worked with some OD from the amp. Plugged to the tonelab for some hard distortion... all was good. Pedals: metal muff, bulldog, sd1, guvnorII, all good. So it works for all styles.

:D

Great! no high end loss, no stiffness, really soft feeling. No buzz, no nothing. A real delight to play.

So now after a couple of weeks I'm 5 minutes from changin' my ladie's strings again and I'll use the same hybrid set.

You guys should try it.[cool]

Some pics of them:

flatwounds007.jpg

flatwounds006.jpg

flatwounds005.jpg

flatwounds008.jpg

Why would Duane delete this?

Just a joke... he seems to be deleting a lot lately (deleted my thread where I asked if a member was banned, no offense to anyone at least last time I was able to check). So it's a joke, that's why I added the :) emoticon

I like the idea of a wound G string though' date=' get a little more snarl from it?[/quote']

I don't think it's a bad idea, but most of the time I play I do vibrato and bending with my fingers (instead of with fx pedals like most kids [lol]) and I do a lot of vib and bending so a wound G is harder to bend. [thumbup]

Dunno. Duane is getting a bad rap as a hardass. Maybe when I delete crap off the forum I should go public with it so Duane doesn't get the blame. Poor guy is probably taking s----- for my actions. [thumbup]

don't sweat it KS..... I'm behind you 110% in whatever decisions you make' date=' whether I know about them or not[cool']

I can take the heat no problem[biggrin]

Dunno. Duane is getting a bad rap as a hardass. Maybe when I delete crap off the forum I should go public with it so Duane doesn't get the blame. Poor guy is probably taking s----- for my actions. [thumbup]

Then you should delete more threads... ban people and blame it on duane [lol]

Hell' date=' you guys could blame anything on the italian mod [lol (is he still a mod?)

Duane is getting a bad rap as a hardass.

Pffffttttt!!!

Hard *** my foot....

[thumbup]

I'm still here!

:-)

The man has a job to do' date=' and he does it.

Without putting [i']every[/i] Mod action up for a forum vote, somebody always gets butt-hurt.

Maybe we should put together a forum appeal board.... wait, we already have that.

It's called "new threads."

What year is that Strat?

Seventies' date=' eh?

[/quote']

It's one of the Smith Strats. It has an '82 serial number but an early '83 neck date with pots and pickups dated 1979 (hence the black plastic). It has the small 'cut down' headstock too. Bought it from the original owner who didn't know what a Smith Strat was and didn't really care.... it had been sitting idle for 20 years I think. It's even got the original 80s plastic case with no cracks and functioning latches and hinges!

It's also a 4 bolt neck without the micro tilt.

Can't recall but I think the neck is dated Jan or Feb 83 and I believe the 2 knob Strats came out in April. Californiaman has one of those.

83strat2.jpg

It's one of the Smith Strats. It has an '82 serial number but an early '83 neck date with pots and pickups dated 1979 (hence the black plastic). It has the small 'cut down' headstock too. Bought it from the original owner who didn't know what a Smith Strat was and didn't really care.... it had been sitting idle for 20 years I think. It's even got the original 80s plastic case with no cracks and functioning latches and hinges!

It's also a 4 bolt neck without the micro tilt.

Can't recall but I think the neck is dated Jan or Feb 83 and I believe the 2 knob Strats came out in April. Californiaman has one of those.

83strat2.jpg

Those are beautiful guitars' date=' i must say.

You're quite lucky my friend.

I'll take it off your hands, if you dont want anyone knowing you have a fender ;']

Well...

Back to the string thing... <grin>

In the olden days I played flatwounds for rhythm in a rock band on a Rick. Then switched to very light Guild strings on a 70s Guild SG clone I still have to play country/pop. I wish I could find those exact strings, btw.

Mostly after that it was fingerpicking on light strings as I'd done for ages anyway.

Used flatwounds, then tapewounds on my jazz box. Hated 'em and the guitar itself. Then years later I put on some Elixir 9-42.

They work for me for about the same reason TG noted with his hybrid set. Now I love the guitar. Hmmmm.

m

Back to the string thing...

Used flatwounds' date=' then tapewounds on my jazz box. [/quote']

I have a Guild Starfire III, Jazz box of sorts.

Problem is, Duncan 59 humbuckers are just too damned hot for it.

Think flats would make any difference in that regard?

Don't know how much more mass is in a flat wound string...

Considered going to a set of 9's, dropping the pickups lower.

Any recommendations from an old jazz box guy before I pull out the pickups?

Archived