Gibson Brands Forums

Something Great my guitar mentor told me, way back.....

onewilyfool

My early guitar mentor, who's name I with hold to protect the innocent......once told me......."Get yourself heard!!!!"

Unfortunately for me, what I thought he said was ,"Get yourself a herd!" ....... and I've been collecting guitars ever since......damn, if I was only a better listener.......

My early guitar mentor' date=' who's name I with hold to protect the innocent......once told me......."Get yourself heard!!!!"

Unfortunately for me, what I thought he said was ,"Get yourself a herd!" ....... and I've been collecting guitars ever since......damn, if I was only a better listener.......[/quote']

At least you didn't mistake what he said for "Get Yourself a nerd", or Pee Wee Herman would STILL be livin' with ya!

When I briefly hooked up with a teacher a few years back one of the first things he said after hearing me play was:

"You know how to play, but you don't really know music. Until you do, you'll be frustrated by your own conceptual limitations if not actually your execution limitations." (Ouch, and spoken like a true Berklee trained jazz dude, which he was).

He was talking about Theory -- a huge hole in my education, and he was right. At the time I had a pre-toddler at home, was running on sleep fumes, and so struggled along for a couple of months going all the way back to the beginning on sight reading and more. Really annoying... until we hit upon Bossa triads as a middle-ground.

But after a few months of chillin' I had to quit. I wouldn't call him a mentor exactly, but what he said still goes. And I've come to terms with it for now. Kinda.

Hi Clayville:

I wish you had been at Berklee the night the guitar dept held a show case for their teachers

and the guest of honor-GET THIS- was DANNY GATTON.

After 2 hrs of highly technical and boring playing by their great teachers Gatton came on

and proudly declared that he was a musical graduate of some of the best & worst dives

in the US. HE THEN PROCEEDED TO BLOW THE WHOLE FACULTY PROGRAM RIGHT OUT THE DOOR. SO BE IT WITH MUSICAL THEORY AND GUITAR PLAYING.

MOOSE

My early guitar mentor' date=' who's name I with hold to protect the innocent......once told me......."Get yourself heard!!!!"

Unfortunately for me, what I thought he said was ,"Get yourself a herd!" ....... and I've been collecting guitars ever since......damn, if I was only a better listener.......[/quote']

Reminds me of the dyslexic devil worshipper who sold his soul to Santa

Hi Clayville:

I wish you had been at Berklee the night the guitar dept held a show case for their teachers

and the guest of honor-GET THIS- was DANNY GATTON.

After 2 hrs of highly technical and boring playing by their great teachers Gatton came on

and proudly declared that he was a musical graduate of some of the best & worst dives

in the US. HE THEN PROCEEDED TO BLOW THE WHOLE FACULTY PROGRAM RIGHT OUT THE DOOR. SO BE IT WITH MUSICAL THEORY AND GUITAR PLAYING.

MOOSE

Wasn't gonna say anything, but I had Hank Williams "Ramblin' Man" on my speakers when reading Clayville's post...

The entire tune is Am and E7 and has reached more folks deep down inside than any fancy jazz piece I'm aware of...

Bluegrass flatpicker David Grier has repeatedly stated he knows no theory and no scales --- hears somerthing in his head and finds it on guitar...

Albert King at least at times claimed he didn't play chords and said "the bent string is my thing"

Reckon there's a bunch of different approaches --- guess if you live for jazz there may be requirements not present in other styles

Archived