Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Champion 600 doesn't overdrive?

Andre S

Look at my answer... Thats serious old school

43222M.jpg

Naw, on the low input thats the shizzle right there, thats where all the tone is, I use that more.

But when I was trying to get tube Breakup, its nothing, I played with all knobs on guitar and amp on full...and nothing...

Maybe the tubes aren't hot enough?

Stock tubes they are.

I think you're best bet with that one would be to use an overdrive pedal.

I have four silverface Fender Champs (well 2 are Vibro Champs) ranging from 1968 to the early 1970's. They are simple amplifiers but they do break up at full volume (they are only 5 watts) and they sound great. Joe Walsh used a Fender Champ on the James Gang records for example.

The guy who played for Stevie Nicks in the 80's had a real small Fender on stage (maybe a Champ) the Mic was almost as big as it was.

That would be Waddy Wachtel.

Maybe it was a cone mic?

Stock tubes it would but it would almost cost half as much as you paid for the amp to put hotter tubes in it. Save your money get a better amp' date=' for now use a distortion or overdrive pedal.[/quote']

I'm not fussed about that, because for the next couple of years the smaller the amp the better with college and all.

I'll check the tubes but I know the power tube is a 6v6

...but it would almost cost half as much as you paid for the amp to put hotter tubes in it...

Maybe not - check out eBay for old organ amps. Sometimes you'll find one for only $25 that isn't way popular (like from an old Thomas or Rodgers organ) and has a boatload of old tubes in it. Old organ amps can be an incredible source for tubes.

The 'bay is also a good place for cheap tubes - like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Tubes-1-Delco-6V6GT-6V6-Tube-/350153164050?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5186c14512#ht_500wt_956

I've found some great-sounding tubes by taking the chance. Some sound better than others (but that's how you learn what sounds like what), and I've haven't a dud yet.

Yup thats it' date=' the preamp tube (12ax7, get the hottest one around if its over drive you want) and for the 6L6 do the same; I think from what I read JJ's would be the best for ya. But thats smart wait until your in college or finished with school; then its time to play.[/quote']

Yup,, no sense in having a 40W amp or such like in a dorm room.

The answer is R7 that is the negative feedback resistor that comes in the circuit of these amps, (along with the resistors on the input) it virtually eliminates overdrive in the Low input..... but the amp should overdrive on the Hi input, it is mild breakup but it is there.

Removing the NFB resistor is a commmon mod for these amps. I did not like the overdrive at all and keep it as a clean amp, which is very chimey with the 12" speaker I use with it. Pedals sound really good with it.

The answer is R7 that is the negative feedback resistor that comes in the circuit of these amps' date=' (along with the resistors on the input) it virtually eliminates overdrive in the Low input..... but the amp should overdrive on the Hi input, it is mild breakup but it is there.

Removing the NFB resistor is a commmon mod for these amps. I did not like the overdrive at all and keep it as a clean amp, which is very chimey with the 12" speaker I use with it. Pedals sound really good with it.[/quote']

Very mild...

But wait I think I have it confused. To have a tube amp breakup, should the guitar volume be on full or the amps volume?

Yo ........what is wrong with yall young uns concerning distortion and overdrive ?..........when I had an amp that had no distortion.........

.........which was every amp I had as a kid..........

I took two amps that had no distortion and ran the line from one amps

speaker and put a plug on it ...........and ramed that into the other amp.............and thru trial and error ........learned how to use a fire eztinghisher.

Naw ............got an education in blue lightning bolt tube destruction..............

Glad I got an actual super fuzz..............man I burned up a lot of equipment .........before I found better technology.

But wait I think I have it confused. To have a tube amp breakup' date=' should the guitar volume be on full or the amps volume?[/quote']

You turn both knobs up until it breaks up-you then turn the guitar volume down to clean it up.

And here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about the Champion 600...every single tweak and mod imaginable!

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=607848&lastpost=2010-04-1115:53:17

you're doing it wrong. either you or the amp is defective. i have this amp and it breaks up just fine. not really the tube sound i like but it does it. the breakup is much nicer thru a marshall 1960 4x12, especially with a tubescreamer.

you're doing it wrong. either you or the amp is defective. i have this amp and it breaks up just fine. not really the tube sound i like but it does it. the breakup is much nicer thru a marshall 1960 4x12' date=' especially with a tubescreamer.[/quote']

hmm...I just run it with the 6 inch speaker....maybe its because the other amps have a higher gain level...

Archived